Snooping TV.

And you actually think that would work in a noisy room?

You are even dafter than I first thought.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know about your house

but In my house I can tell what is connected to the WLAN by *counting* the connections

when TV/PVR are turned off the number should be ZERO

anything else is suspicious

tim

Reply to
tim...

You mean you've invented yet another 'what if'?

I'm trying to point out just what a nonsense it is to the gullible like you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

May just come as part of a package. And you want other things in that package.

Doesn't mean to say you have to use that facility, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How confident are you that "they" share your view?

(There are plenty of "dodgy" certification authorities out there already).

Reply to
John Rumm

You don't have a clue how much software and the extra hardware costs do you?

You probably believe the TV programs where you can only trace calls if the hang on the phone for several minutes too.

You do understand that not everyone has a smart TV to bug anyway. Its just one tool available.

Reply to
dennis

Its called sarcasm old chap - I was just highlighting that TVs already have ways of preserving substatial quantities of information that survive a complete power down.

Reply to
John Rumm

You mean you can count how many connections there are, not what those connections are.

How do you connect so it shows as zero? Do you have a terminal connection or maybe a monitor and keyboard connected to the router?

Reply to
dennis

You have just given some control freaks an orgasm ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

And?

And the problem with that is?

BT, Sky, and others can.

and?

Reply to
dennis

Well right there is one of the big areas of debate. There are many that advocate collecting everything all the time, in the hope that it might be useful later - much like the way they claim CCTV "prevents" crime - when in reality all it might do is make it easier to solve after its happened.

There are many who would like to data mine that collected information and draw value from it (be it intelligence, or marketing)

Reply to
John Rumm

Its been done, but its obviously too difficult for you the understand that it can be done.

You are the one claiming things that have already been done are impossible.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, since the router will simply store the last IP address the router obtained via DHCP. That doesn't mean the its online or switched on.

It just means the DHCP table entry hasn't timed out (can be configured to be DAYS .... I've seen me mates laptop still in DHCP tables up to 24 hours after its left the building!

I know for a fact that my TV drops IP when in standby because it takes about a minute for it to connect enough to see the network at all

Right now both me mates I-phone and the TV, neither of which have been on since last night, are showing up in my routers tables. Conversely the 24x7 server on a fixed IP address, is not.

The problem is Tim, that you don't know or understand as much as you think you do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, what is in the router DHCP tables may be up to several days out of date.

Only to someone with serious ignorance of basic TCP/IP networking

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As part of the design and specification of an entirely new system? Peanuts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Go on, then. Give an example.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can even find DIY laser mics on youtube.

Reply to
dennis

Much like the "Darknet" you can define it as you please.

Reply to
Graham.

It was done in 1968, in an episode of "The Avengers" called "All Done With Mirrors"

Reply to
Graham.

Unlike the Avengers you can buy the kit.

dennis