Snooping TV.

A lot of them will have common hardware, and if you already have firmware that is capable of listening, all you have to do is exploit that routine.

Strong encryption, and a non-cooperative manufacturer.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Why do people pay thousands for digital cables? They sell at that price because someone will pay that price. It would appear you would pay that price and you won't check out whether cheaper options will do the job because you don't have the time to do so.

But most smart phones do a lot more than phone calls. Like 4k video with decent sound. The same with DSLRs, yet the mics in them cost peanuts.

The mics in mine will do a pretty good job from a few tens of hertz to beyond 20k hz and I have used it as a spectrum analyzer to look at signals across that range.

Reply to
dennis

Just to repeat what I have previously said..

turn off the back light or set the brightness to zero on OLED and there is no picture. As for turning down the volume well its pretty obvious. That is you don't need many rails under software control even though they are anyway.

Reply to
dennis

But the owners might wonder why the online TV bits don't work unless the trojan AP also has net access. There is also the slight problem of getting the set to connect to the trojan AP in the first place, before the TV's firmware has been "updated".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some basic electrets can be pretty good as you say. But once you decide to produce a microphone for other than the simple conversion of sound pressure waves into an electrical signal, it becomes rather more involved. It is possible to use many basic ones and clever electronics to achieve this - but at this moment in time isn't the best way.

Depends on how you define array. ;-)

In theory, this can be done with four microphones. Small enough to be a single easily transportable device. Plus some clever software. I've got one here - a Calrec Soundfield.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Variation on a pair, just not coincident or spaced (as in feet).

Don't think you can do distance either. The brain can deduce a perception of distance from the acoustic but its not an absolute measurement.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And for £25 quid you can get one with calibration data to feed into several of the smart phone apps to make the readings obtained half way decent.

Without the mics calibration data any apps readings are at best a close approximation at worst a guess and it'll vary across the spectrum.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They'll

Something wrong with that sentance. Can't see why not, might yield other interesting information from things seen lying around.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nobody cares about micing a stage, we are discussing spying. Its you that wants to claim stage production is the same as spying to justify your claims that its too expensive and can't be done with the cheap mics in a TV.

They are mounted at the top of the screen on my laptop and on macbooks IIRC. The speakers are at the bottom on mine but I don't know where they are on the macbook. Te positioning is pretty much irrelevant anyway.

Just because you don't know how it works doesn't mean it doesn't work! Get a life and argue about something you know about. I'm sure someone here cares about how you would mic up a stage to get maximum sound quality so they can compress the hell out of it.

Reply to
dennis

As has been mentioned several times a simple bit of "echo cancelation" takes care of that. The set already has the speaker sounds as a stream, might need a bit a EQ adjustment to better match that actually picked up by the mic(s). All relatively trivial for a set capable of the DSP required for handling HD video in real time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

provide the

Powered electonics but un-powered screen is a mode of most modern sets. Used for the OTA updates.

You can still see an image on an LCD screen without backlight. Not very clearly but it's definately there.

Maybe, not played with an OLED.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yet you have been claiming it can't be done!

Reply to
dennis

Sadly, the sound was so bad that I can deny hearing every word.

Reply to
Capitol

AIUI, the chip maker sets the standard, not the set maker. This reduces the number of variants considerably.

Reply to
Capitol

Don't they have subtitles?

Reply to
dennis

In the West End?

Reply to
Capitol

So they are trying to put off >~ 10% of the population then? They must have a full house all the time.

Reply to
dennis

I know enough about DHCP to know you are simply lying.

DHCP never release a lease 'almost as soon as I turn my TV devices off'.

It would be a massive waste of resources to keep issuing one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only the gullible do, dennis. You'll not find them used by pros using pro mics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are the one who brought up arrays of cheap microphones as the answer to everything. I have more sense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)