Snooping TV.

What 'unions' would that be?

Ah. So for the mic in the TV snoop to have any chance of working, you'd have to know the exact positions of those talking in the room?

I'd suggest you actually chat to those involved in the technical design side of a large West End production. But then you'd be left behind after the first few words.

With every word you confirm you just haven't a clue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - right. So if any Samsung TV so equipped to snoop with is turned off for any reason you get a search warrant and send the heavies in. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it needs to be known where it is relative to the other mics being used. With a TV they are fixed.

They are fixed in my laptop too.

You do understand that using arrays of mics is not new and is being used now.

An array of mics can tell you where the people are in the room.

I think you can leave anyone behind if you use jargon. However that doesn't mean they can't understand what is being done and why. It takes intelligence to avoid jargon when explaining things.

Your answers show that you don't have a clue. The sound on some of the recent BBC programs indicates the technicians don't have a clue either.

Reply to
dennis

What makes you think they don't?

There have been some attacks on the internet that do exactly that and use the camera too. These are script kiddies not spies.

Reply to
dennis

Hmm, every router I have owned has had the ability to be updated. Most of the later ones over the internet or locally (how do they get ddwrt on them if they can't be updated?).

There have been many attacks on routers and they are being actively used in DDOS attacks.

Many routers have the default password and can be hacked by using a script on a web page very easily.

Even if you have a good password you can be got by a drive by attack if you have used a browser to login to your router and not terminated the session as the router won't ask for the password. Need I go on?

Reply to
dennis

Assuming of course that they don't also have access to the signing authorities certificates, thus allowing them to sign "authentic" code.

Reply to
John Rumm

Until someone invents a battery or non volatile memory...

Reply to
John Rumm

IME that is far from true - I have seen very few that don't support some kind of firmware upgrade capability. Whether it ever gets used is a completely different matter though.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's likely to have one powered rail even in standby.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've never had a TV with a mic in it, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Of course they do, just turn off the back light. Do you not understand that a smart TV is just a computer with a tuner built in. Anything you can do to a computer can be done to a smart TV.

If its so hard why did criminals hack into several thousand Tesco bank accounts? That is criminals without the resources of the government to do it.

Reply to
dennis

It will be a software hack - unlikely to need any hardware modifications. You may need physical access, but even that is not certain.

Reply to
John Rumm

Standby is just a software concept. Software controls which parts of the hardware are powered. The CPU is running all the time the TV has mains power - it needs to be to allow it to respond to the IR remote, do OTA upgrades, and make timed video recordings to USB storage etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can do it at the ARP level, never mind ping (ICMP). The switch hardware in the router will see it at layer 1 as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Of course. The power LED on my TV changes colour etc depending on what the TV is doing - its certainly not hard wired to the PSU or anything like that.

The power / system management controllers in modern devices have full control of the voltage rail activation in modern electronic designs - so they can selectively power what is needed for the current function. Its all a result of the push to be "more green" and have ever lower standby power while not losing capabilities and functionality.

That's a straw man argument. Unrelated circumstances and situations in the first instance. Secondly, criminals have and frequently *do* hack online accounts - so it tell you nothing. Lastly you need to appreciate that the whole "Internet of Things" cosystem is currently a total security cluster f*ck, that will take years to even partially fix. Much of the stuff out there was never designed to be secure, and the manufacturers frequently have little (if any) interest in updating it or improving / keeping any security it has.

That is a different situation from things like online banking that were (mostly) designed with security in mind from the ground up.

Reply to
John Rumm

There will typically be many megabytes of spare flash available in the TV anyway...

Recognisable audio does not require much bandwidth to shift either. Very few people would notice one device on their home lan streaming a 8kbps audio feed even if done continuously.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, spooks are well aware that meta data can be hugely useful. A select group of people all turning off their phones at a certain time can tell them nearly as much as a phone that has been left on and commanded to remotely enable its mic and relay what it can hear.

Reply to
John Rumm

I spent an hour last week uninstalling hundreds of items of unwanted software from someone's computer. None of them were intentionally installed by the user, and yet they all got there past the firewalls, antivirus software etc.

You may find the makers of power control extension leads do well out of it ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Stick to making a d*****ad out of yourself about politics, will you, and leave the technology to people who know what they're doing.

Reply to
Huge

I don't know if modern ones fare any better, but Sky boxes used to consume about 90% on standby compared to full on.

Reply to
Graham.

The one for the RC IR receiver for a start.

Reply to
Graham.