Resurfacing drive - best moss/lichen/algae killer

The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid of Moss etc.
Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose surface dressing.
Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.
Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.
--
Mark

Mark Allread wrote:

Iron Sulphate as a moss killer. Can't remember if it is ferric or ferrous.
Glyphosate will only work on growing plants to conduct it to the roots. It is NOT more effective to use a stronger mix. That just kills the greenery and does not allow it
Ammonium sulphamate (NOT Sulphate) will help kill roots. Technically cant be sold as a weed killer but perfectly legal as a composting accelerator. Thanks to EU nonsense rule interpretation in uk
A mix of the last two is fairly effective on Ivy esp with a little washing up liquid to make it wet the surface of ivy leaves.
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 16:15:12 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Ahh of course - I've used it on grass before but avoided hard surfaces because of staining. A resurface won'r be bothered about the stain (hand to forehead momemnt)

Yup - use it regulalrly

Yup - I do 'compost' a few things these days.
Thanks Bob.
--
Mark

Bob Minchin wrote:

Doesn't touch moss, try a sprinkle of "oxi bleach" powder just before it rains ...

Glyphosate will kill growing plants, but it won't touch moss.

Ferrous sulphate (iron II sulphate). Light green powder. You can get it pretty cheaply if you buy it from ebay or amazon.
It will oxidise to some extent when you mix it with water, and then a bit more when it's exposed to the air. It can stain concrete orange.
There's no 'can' about it!
--
Ian

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 17:15:28 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

I know - that's why it is being used as well as moss killer. There are weeds as well as moss. Glyphosate, at this time o f the year will be slow but will eventually work.

It *will* stain not can stain. Hnece why I've only used it on grass before and had forgotten about it for hard surfaces.
On Friday, 3 February 2017 15:36:19 UTC, Mark Allread wrote:

Best to pressure jet as much as possible off first. You can buy proper algaecides at you local builder's merchant to finally kill it off.
On 03/02/2017 15:36, Mark Allread wrote:

Jeyes Fluid works well but the "creosote" smell can linger.
--
Reentrant

On Friday, 3 February 2017 18:36:15 UTC, LSR wrote:

Jeyes fluid is good. Results last quite a while too.
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 18:36:12 +0000, LSR wrote:

Its a thought -ta.
Mark Allread wrote:

    I've considered copper dust. Any experience anyone?
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 17:51:28 +0000, jim wrote:

Its being mecahnically brushed (Bobcat probably) then a tack coat then 30mm topcoat

Yup - familaiar with it but I'm traeting some weds as well as moss at the same time.
On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 15:05:46 +0000, jim wrote:

Yorkshire c1000ft ASL
We have had a very mild winter this year. Grass is beginning to grow again (lawns as well as beds and drive). Blackthorn is already beginning to green a tad in sunnier spots.
Box hedging has already had a trim to remove the long growth and tidy it up.

My grass needs mowing. The bulbs already have 3" or so of leaf on them.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 35th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 17:51:10 +0000, Huge wrote:

Yup, not much of a winter rest this season - late Autumn/early winter final mow and it looks like a late Winter/early Spring start to mowing again.
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 16:51:06 +0000, Phil L wrote:

Hmm, not thought of that. I have a heap so will try some out.