Resurfacing drive - best moss/lichen/algae killer

The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Iron Sulphate as a moss killer. Can't remember if it is ferric or ferrous.

Glyphosate will only work on growing plants to conduct it to the roots. It is NOT more effective to use a stronger mix. That just kills the greenery and does not allow it

Ammonium sulphamate (NOT Sulphate) will help kill roots. Technically cant be sold as a weed killer but perfectly legal as a composting accelerator. Thanks to EU nonsense rule interpretation in uk

A mix of the last two is fairly effective on Ivy esp with a little washing up liquid to make it wet the surface of ivy leaves.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ahh of course - I've used it on grass before but avoided hard surfaces because of staining. A resurface won'r be bothered about the stain (hand to forehead momemnt)

Yup - use it regulalrly

Yup - I do 'compost' a few things these days.

Thanks Bob.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Glyphosate will kill growing plants, but it won't touch moss.

Ferrous sulphate (iron II sulphate). Light green powder. You can get it pretty cheaply if you buy it from ebay or amazon.

It will oxidise to some extent when you mix it with water, and then a bit more when it's exposed to the air. It can stain concrete orange.

Reply to
Caecilius

Doesn't touch moss, try a sprinkle of "oxi bleach" powder just before it rains ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Best to pressure jet as much as possible off first. You can buy proper algaecides at you local builder's merchant to finally kill it off.

Reply to
harry

Jeyes Fluid works well but the "creosote" smell can linger.

Reply to
LSR

In message , Caecilius writes

There's no 'can' about it!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Jeyes fluid is good. Results last quite a while too.

Reply to
harry

I know - that's why it is being used as well as moss killer. There are weeds as well as moss. Glyphosate, at this time o f the year will be slow but will eventually work.

It *will* stain not can stain. Hnece why I've only used it on grass before and had forgotten about it for hard surfaces.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Its a thought -ta.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Its being mecahnically brushed (Bobcat probably) then a tack coat then

30mm topcoat

Yup - familaiar with it but I'm traeting some weds as well as moss at the same time.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Hmm, not thought of that. I have a heap so will try some out.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Yorkshire c1000ft ASL

We have had a very mild winter this year. Grass is beginning to grow again (lawns as well as beds and drive). Blackthorn is already beginning to green a tad in sunnier spots.

Box hedging has already had a trim to remove the long growth and tidy it up.

Reply to
Mark Allread

My grass needs mowing. The bulbs already have 3" or so of leaf on them.

Reply to
Huge

Yup, not much of a winter rest this season - late Autumn/early winter final mow and it looks like a late Winter/early Spring start to mowing again.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I've considered copper dust. Any experience anyone?

Reply to
Capitol