Algae & Moss removal

I recently put a post up on how best to prepare wooden fence for re-staining ....... I had tried Sodium Hypochlorite & Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide - which was excellent at cleaning my sandstone patio.

However there was concern about bleaching effect on the wood, removal of colour from existing stain, and how this could effect longevity of new stain.

Did a lot of Googling around and came across a product recommendation ... 'West & Forget' I managed to get a sample to try ..... diluted 5 to 1 ... simply sprayed it on ... no agitation whatsoever. All algae dead the nest day ..where it was thin ... simply gone, where it was thick, what remains is a white powder.

This can be brushed off or it will wash off in teh rain.

Impressed how well this performed. It contains no bleach and has unlimited shelf life ... as it also works on brick & stone I just ordered 20L of it ... and will spray my cills, lintols, pillars & copings. As well as all fence (6000 sq ft) and the patio to stop re-growth.

It seems it is well advertised on the TV shopping channels - I went to manufacturers web site .. and their price was the same .......... but importantly there is also a 20% scheme if you recommend someone. Applies to both party's.

(happy to recommend any of you if you want the 20% off - ping me an email)

I used that and saved a nice chunk of money.

Reply to
rick

The Todal

Anyone checked this out, it would appear the active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate , and I quote:

"Sodium Percarbonate Rates Best and Safest Roof Cleaner, Study Says 13

Green Cleaners USA, one of the nation?s leading distributors of green cleaning and laundry products, has released the results of an extensive study and testing of roof cleaning products and cleaning processes.

The algae, mildew, mold, and black streaks that embeds in roofs everywhere are at best unsightly, but more importantly the presence of these airborne and environmental contaminates harms the roof. "

Reply to
ss

The same active ingredient as the "oxi" stain removal powder for washing?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just to report, I tried lightly sprinkling some of the poundshop stuff onto an area of ground kept clear of weeds by glyphosate, but which then allows moss and (what I think is a) liverwort to cover the area.

Both had blackened and shrivelled after just a couple of hours, after a bit of rain to wash it in, both are essentially gone, maybe my ground will glow under UV light with a special bluey-whiteness, but the moss is gone ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Would this be the same

Ingredients listed as

Ingredient

1 Sodium carbonate peroxide 2 Sodium Carbonate

No ratios given

No TAED risk assesment

Reply to
fred