Algae & Moss Removal (corrected)

I recently posted about how to clean a lot of fencing panels prior to re-staining.

I had tried Sodium Hypochlorite & Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide mix, this worked very well on my sandstone patio, but concerned about bleaching effect on the wood, removal of colour from existing stain, and how this could effect longevity of new stain.

Did a lot of Googling around and came across a product recommendation ... 'Wet & Forget'

I managed to get a sample to try ..... diluted 5 to 1 ... simply sprayed it on ... no agitation whatsoever. All algae dead the next day ..where it was thin ... simply gone, where it was thick, what remains is a white powder.

This can be brushed off or it will wash off in the rain.

Impressed how well this performed. It contains no bleach and has unlimited shelf life ... as it also works on brick & stone I just ordered 20L of it ... and will spray my cills, lintols, pillars & copings. As well as all fence (6000 sq ft) and the patio to stop re-growth.

It seems it is well advertised on the TV shopping channels - I went to manufacturers web site .. and their price was the same .......... but importantly there is also a 20% scheme if you get recommended by a user. Discount applies to both party's.

(happy to recommend any of you if you want the 20% off - ping me an email)

I used that and saved a nice chunk of money.

Reply to
rick

Did you have any plants near the fence and did they survive?

Looks like 10% off code WETCLOUD10 dunno if it works with the 20% intro code too. Also seems to be sold at costco - no idea of price.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I saw the WETCLOUD10 discount ... but then saw on their web site if you get a user to request a discount for you you get 20% ....

I only have grass near fence ... seems unaffected - but don't know about plants. Impressed how fast it killed all the algae .. simply spayed on.

Did read in FAQ that it will kill fish if used in/on fish ponds, can't recall any warning about plants.

Reply to
rick

OK Thanks Rick.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Does this white powder have any safety issues for plants or wildlife at all? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Now all I need is a bramble killing substance and I'll be happy!

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

rootout is good on them, but if you keep at them frequently with gylphosate they do give up after a couple of years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I spent nearly 10 years killing Knotweed in previous house .. none here, but have the highly resistant Mare Tail.

Reply to
rick

Sounds impressive.

Here's an MSDS

newshound

Manufacturer website has a FAQ .. sorry I don't know

Reply to
rick