Moss algae removal

What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that has been layed up for a while.

ste

Reply to
ste

Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?

Reply to
Lobster

Tried all three and it hasn't worked, The algae is ingrained particulary in recessed areas, I thought a spray type chemical would remove the algae rather than have to scrub it off.

I've still got moss on some areas of the car which won't come off either.

ste

Reply to
ste

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid. If not phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm not aware of any descalers that use oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is toxic and descalers are frequently used on potable water supplies.

Lime Lite is sulphamic acid, not phosphoric.

Sulphamic acid is the acid used in the majority of proprietary descalers. It's non-toxic, a relatively mild acid and it's easy to make up from crystals and near-impossible to create too strong a solution because of its relatively low solubility compared to aggressive acids.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A scrubbing brush was the best solution for a laid-up Land Rover, combined with a lot of detergent before a final pressure wash to get it properly clean.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Try uk.rec.caravanning

Chris

ste wrote:

Reply to
chris

and IIRC, Fernox descaler is a fairly inexpensive way to buy it reasonably easily.

Reply to
Andy Hall

patio cleaner?

Reply to
zaax

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

Reply to
clot

Wow! Do they send someone round to clean caravans? The net at it's best. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

I was going to say that - don't use any household/garden/patio chemicals until you've got advice from those who really understand about caravans.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Brainiac have a good understanding of caravans. :)

Reply to
Si

That's usually hydrochloric acid.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, it's good but it does contain something else corrosion inhibitors and dyes which can cause damage to (some) materials. The dyes will colour white nylon components blue, and the corrosion inhibitors can leave a strong smell on anything they touch. I use Fernox descaler as a descaler but not on anything that has to come in contact with food.

It may be fine on a caravan.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Scrub with bleach in hot water.

Reply to
Huge

I wish...

Chris

Reply to
chris

Indeed, I'll check out uk.rec.caravanning

Reply to
fred

On paint work?

Reply to
fred

Too much moss, its everywhere, hence a chemical that will remove it without damaging paintwork.

Reply to
fred