Lawn Question Re Moss Killer With: "Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid"

Hello,

Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.

Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has as it's (only) active ingredient something called: Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".

Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?

And would also like to ask:

Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic. If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy grass ?

Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

Don't know what the stuff does to moss but I suspect it is just an expensive way to reduce acidity. I use limestone myself.

Reply to
Frank

What does the package say about grass or other plants? Is the stuff sold for use on lawns, or is it for roofs, walks, etc? There's no way from what you told us that we can know what you bought.

Limestone is fine on grass.

Reply to
Bob F

Doesnt moss grow in dense shade, is that what you have. Maybe you should be working with what the area supports and plant accordingly and it wont be grass.

Reply to
ransley

More than you ever wanted to know at

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

That's what I figured. Limestone is a natural green product too. I'd use it instead.

Reply to
Frank

Hell, if it's green and doesn't need to be cut every week, I'll keep it not kill it!

Reply to
Tony

Tony wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid. This is the original "soap". You make it by boiling fat with potash. The fat hydrolyzes, yielding fatty acids in their potassium salt form. It's used in cleaning oneself, clothes, dishes, ec. The more modern detergents mimick its properties, and sometimes improve them.

NOTE: Fatty acids, especially the saturated C18 stearic acid, are the preferred fuel for mitochondria, the cells' powerplants. The heart is especially fond of them as fuel. Moreover, candles are made of stearic acid. So, for emergencies while camping, carry candles, the real ones. If necessary you can light them, or eat them.

Reply to
Han

This article says it won't harm other plants:

Of course, you could take advantage of existing conditions and grow moss and lichens....I think they make gorgeous gardens:
It might be worth a call or a visit with your local extension service to see it there is a grass variety more suited to your soil.

Some moss and lichens, a nice old rotten stump, few rocks, some ferns and hostas........better than grass :o)

Reply to
norminn