Moss Killer, again

Not so long back there was a thread on here about moss killer, and I can't find the thread now.

One of the ingredients was strong detergent.

After googling for strong detergent, I can't find any link for what actually is a strong detergent.

So is there a table or something which lists various detergents with strength of each.

Reply to
BobH

$20killer$20

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I expect there is, but for these purposes I would suggest washing up liquid or washing machine products. The former is probably more pet and bird friendly.

Reply to
newshound

And moss friendly too. Proprietary formulations of moss killer are more reliable than home brew kitchen sink chemistry. Nothing is perfect.

Don't whatever you do use lawn moss killer on paths - it often contains iron sulphate and will stain concrete or stone irreversibly!

Algae and mosses are natural survivors if the conditions are right they will quickly recolonise an area even if you sterilised it with fire!

Reply to
Martin Brown

I use Flash. I imagine sugar soap would do as well.

Reply to
Huge

It was my recipe. The moss in my gravel drive died within the day and has never returned.

(Oh, and most proprietary moss killers are the same thing - detergent, alkali & bleach.)

Reply to
Huge

Ok what did you use as a strong detergent then.

Reply to
BobH

I've used both Flash & sugar soap. Both work fine.

Reply to
Huge

Caustic soda. But be very careful.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Detergent is a fat or oil treated with a strong alkali.

So cooing oil and caustic would work with some water added. Or 20/50 etc

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We used cold water bleach as supplied to laundries diluted 10:1 with water with a bottle of vinegar thrown in to every 5 gallons. Killed it stone dead.

As I've said before some self proclaimed chemist on this group claimed that the sugar in the vinegar would feed the moss. Load of bollix. Vinegar is an acid. We wipe down the surround of boat windows with it at the start of winter to keep the growth away.

I also understand that vinegar on its own is a weed killer.

But again I do like the concept of caustic soda as an addition.

Reply to
fred

since it will totally nullify the acidity of the vineger I am not sure why The result will be sodium acetate

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which is an alkali, which will neutralise the acid.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite so. Completely pointless putting acetic acid and sodium hydroxide in, unless you think there's some point to sodium acetate.

Reply to
Huge

A strong enough solution can do interesting things - hot ice. But not really useful for moss.

Reply to
Clive George

Unless you want "Salt 'n' Vinegar Moss". (It's the principal flavouring in salt'n'vinger crisps.)

Reply to
Huge

Strictly, that will give you a soap (from the fatty acids in the oil)

newshound

[Derisive snort]
Reply to
Huge

r with a bottle of vinegar thrown in to every 5 gallons. Killed it stone d ead.

at the sugar in the vinegar would feed the moss. Load of bollix. Vinegar is an acid. We wipe down the surround of boat windows with it at the start of winter to keep the growth away.

Sorry that should have been one bottler per 5 litres not gallons

Reply to
fred

That's not too helpful.

Andy