Privacy door haandle problem

The spring in the handle of the bathroom door has finally given up the ghost. The handle is pretty much unserviceable due to the manner in which it's been constructed - I have tried brute force and ignorance! :-)

It's about 30 odd years old, and has a simple cam arrangement in the body of the handle that stops the handle turning when the door is 'locked'. Needless to say, there's no manufacturer's name, and I can't track down anything similar.

Is this the standard arrangement for privacy handles, rather than a separate mortise lock? Obviously, I'd prefer to fit a like-for-like replacement, rather than a complete new lock assembly.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Sounds like one that I replaced recently. Aluminium construction with a thumb turn below the handle. About a fiver from local builders merchant.

Something like this?

Andrew May

The one I have works on a similar principle ..you turn the lock fitted below the door handle and it stops the door handle being turned which in turn means the mortise latch cant be turned .I got both ( seperate) from Screwfix.. The bar between the two parts of the handle fits through the mortise latch .

Handle similar to this one.

latch similar to this one .

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B