Patio door lock bolts?

House move. Back patio doors are typical metal frame sliders with a single Euro cylinder lock. So they need top and bottom bolts added. Any favoured brands?

Yale are cheap, but look a little on the small side. ERA are what I usually buy, but are twice the price. Federal are cheap, but twice the size and still look flimsy.

So, any favourites? Thanks

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I made the mistake of using ERA, the type with a key which accepts a round shaft with a flat and she finds them a pain to insert the key into. The holes also also wander a bit over the years IME. I like Moss and KP, as they can have the pin inserted/removed without locking with a key but they're a bit more expensive. Moss and KP have keys for when you want more security. I tried the combination type keyless units, but found that they jammed in the securing holes and had to screw hand grips onto them to release them when we wanted to open the doors.

Reply to
Capitol

Update!

The door's on inside out 8-(

So, can this be secured? Or can anything we do simply be bypassed by lifting the door off from outside? Is the only hope to take the whole door out and turn it right side out? Is that practical, or is it likely to break something terminal?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

` The locking pin has to go through the frame of the glass, this stops it lifting or moving sideways. Needs fixing to the side frames. These locks are only a deterrent, brute force (levering with a shovel) will generally defeat them. We have patio door locks everywhere and it's a real pain to keep track of the keys and remember which ones are still locked, as we don't unlock some of them. The CCTV and alarm system has worked really well in deterring chancers for a long while, but it doen't work for "care in the community" people who like throwing stones or steel roadwork posts at cars on the drive about once in 10 years.

Reply to
Capitol

Security like that doesn't always work anyway. Three doors away from where my brother lived some scrots threw the garden bench through the patio window and took the TV and video. They did care about the alarm, the dog or the fact the family was in!

Reply to
dennis