Multi point door lock

The lock on my daughter's UPVC door is giving trouble. It's the conventional multi point type with sliding mushroom shaped pegs on the edge of the door and 'spikes' on the top and bottom.

There's no problem locking the door by moving the handle up but when you try to open it by pressing the handle down it goes through a number of very stiff clicks as the pegs slide.

The problem must be inside the mechanism rather than fouling the door frame because it does the same thing if you operate it with the door open.

I've never had to fix this type of thing before so I'm looking for a bit of background info about how easy or difficult it is to repair or replace these mechanisms.

Is it just a case of removing the handles and lock barrel then undoing all the screws down the edge of the door and will it come away easily or will all manner of bits spring out all over the floor?

If we need to replace the mechanism are they fairly standard or will I have problems locating a compatible one? And any suggestions for suitable suppliers?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Someone more knowledgeable will confirm or otherwise. But the mechanism should come out as a unit with nothing jumping off. I was always recommended to find a supplier and take the `old` mechanism with me for a definite match as there are various similiar types. It will also depend on whats `clicking` it may just need a part replacing rather than the complete unit.

Reply to
ss

I've never taken one apart, but they *must* come out in one piece without bits flying everywhere - otherwise they couldn't have been assembled in the first place.

It may be that you just need to smooth down the rubbing surfaces and re-lubricate them - without needing to replace anything. But first, get it apart and make sure that nothing's actually broken.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Easy job. They are called euro EURO CYLINDER locks. There is a screw in the lock panel in the side of the door with that removed it will slide out. I find Yale the best.

zaax

So how exactly is replacing the barrel going to help the the sliders to work better when you move the handle up and down?

Reply to
Roger Mills