OT: The CoOp leading the way?

It looks like the CoOp are leading a drive to reduce the disparity between the cost of meat and animal_cruelty_free alternatives.

I was wondering how all that fits in with how all the farming subsidies are handed out.

Right, off for a walk to the CoOp (via the polling station) to show support for their incentive ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My experience is that such reductions are short-lived and designed to attract short term news coverage, so intended for those with short memories or ulterior motives.

Co-Op also sell Halal meat so you must support that form of slaughter too via the polling station.

Is this another opportunity to spoil your vote?

Reply to
Fredxx

The prices the Co-op charge for stuff, they can slash their prices all they want. It's like Allied Carpets having a "Sale".

And the Co-op would love to see us reducing our emissions as the only way they can sell more overpriced stuff in their convenience stores is if people can't take the car or bus to proper supermarkets. Which is why most Co-ops are in places where people already can't afford a car or bus. Because they're more expensive than bloody Waitrose. And they don't even sell aubergines (Co-op that is.)

Pineapple Co-op £1.15, Aldi 59p, Waitrose £1

6 Tomatoes Co-op 75p, Aldi 49p, Waitrose 75p Mushrooms Co-op 200g £1, Aldi 250g 49p, Waitrose 250g £1

Meanwhile, Asda had Scotch pies for 75p for 4, so that's my fortnight's meat intake for £2.25

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

We often visit North Norfolk, and we refer to the local Coop as Fortnums North. That's because the competition is so dire that it makes the Coop appear rather more up-market than they intend to be.

Reply to
GB

In my experience the Coop is the most expensive retailer of food items in the market place, especially where they have a near monopoly in rural areas.

Around my way where there is competition from not only the main supermarkets, both German supermarkets and quite a few independents their stores have closed over the past decade.

Reply to
alan_m

Whilst that might be the case 'generally', I'm not sure it applies to this particular move.

Personally, I don't really like 'proper supermarkets', too big.

So no CoOp in any of the 'well off' areas then?

Ok. I rarely (if I ever have) used Waitrose so I'll be guided by you.

They can keep them (any of them that is). ;-)

So, product for product you are paying roughly the same in Co-Op as Waitrose but both are more than Aldi. I'm not sure that would be a surprise to most people.

With the Co-Op you are paying for the 'local' convenience.

With Waitrose you are paying for the name.

For Aldi you are not paying for the range or customer service or the chance to bag all your shopping up without smashing half of it or feeling like you are in the Generation Game. [1] ;-)

I can't see them on Asda's web site so were they reduced or in-store only?

<Googles> '15% Beef ... plus soya and other stuff so apart from the beef and the milk, 'mostly vegan'. ;-)

We just picked up a couple of packs of 'wraps' (£1 for 6) and a lovely box of mixed salad from the kebab shop for £4 and that will, with the addition of some vegan chicken make the two of us at least two easy / healthy meals each (probably 3 this time as the manager served me and is particularly generous). ;-)

"Hey, Mr Tim ... how are you doing ...?"

Cheers, T i m

[1] We have a Lidl that's probably a 7 minute walk away versus a smaller Sainsburies that's 5 but we generally (only) use Sainsbury's because we CBA with Lidl checkout (and no self checkouts), the queues and the temptation of the middle isle. ;-(
Reply to
T i m

Well, this one's round the corner from a Waitrose; I don't know if that quite counts as upmarket. XJQG+44 Eastleigh

Aldi have a wider range than Co-op. Co-op don't sell aubergines, wheelbarrow wheels, or wetsuits.

Yes, reduced.

I'm glad they meet with your approval.

Not where I would buy mixed salad from, but I suppose it's probably cheaper than Co-op.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname
<snip>

We love(ed?) Norfolk and spent most of our family holidays there.

Hehe.

It is funny how what is 'just' a corner shop for the locals can be a special find when you are camping. ;-)

I think it was when we were staying on Oulton Broad Dad found a mushroom farm a reasonable walk away where you could buy a basket of monster / seconds mushrooms for next to nothing. We might have one between us as they could be as big as our frying pan. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I can't say we have ever used one regularly, only maybe when camping, either because (as you say) it was the only gay/// shop in the village (when you sort of expect to pay 'sea prices') or when we have been on the road (again, generally when on holiday) and pick up some provisions where we can. They are also 'quicker' because they are smaller and with parking right outside so better if you just want to 'pop in' for a few 'bits'.

On the way home from the dog walk tonight I bought some 'bit's' in a general independent, 7/11 type place, even though there was a Tesco express nearly opposite that could well have been cheaper. However, the chances are it would have been slower as these independents seem to have the price of everything in their heads (and I do keep an eye on the price / change and I have never had an issue) and so / therefore move people though faster (less time with my mask on). ;-)

But hey-ho, if the Co-Op are only bringing the price of their vegan range down to that that better match all the others, at least they might benefit from that in the same way as Greggs have with their (fairly restricted) vegan range and yet another place we know we can pick stuff up if convenient etc. ;-)

Better for us, better for them, better for the animals and better for (all of our) environment. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

My local Lidl middle isle is mainly full of meat and meat products. I presume yours is the same?

Reply to
Fredxx

I have just been to my local Co-op as I needed cigs and beer and a few other essentials.

The reduced to clear fridge was full of GRO vegan products with a sell by date of 06/05/2021.

Need I say more?

Reply to
ARW

From my memory of Eastleigh it's no slum. ;-)

;-)

Ah, the had (rather than 'has').

Well, they don't of course because they still require animal suffering and death but if they really are your only meat for two weeks it definitely a step in the right direction.

I'm not sure where else you would buy that sort of mixed salad from? It's sliced red cabbage, white cabbage, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion and in one of the large boxes where he had to force the lid down to get it all in. ;-)

I didn't buy it with price in mind as it's quite possible I could have bought loads more of each ingredient for less. It was the fact that whilst walking past their front door, I could be handed to me in a box like that ready to use and whilst hardly stopping. ;-)

Given that it will form the bulk of 6 meals and with next to no effort on my part, I don't consider it 'expensive'?

So, half a bag of these between us (that was 7 chunks each, about the max you could get in a wrap with all that salad).

So, 44p for the 'meat'.

A pack of 6 wraps for £1 means 17p each for that.

1/6th of the salad at £4 the box another 67p.

Add the cost of a dollop of vegan salad cream and that's about £1.50 per meal?

(We aim to get some vegan garlic sauce to give more of the kebab taste we are used to.) ;-)

The pudding nearly cost as much, I had the other half (1st half yesterday) of raspberry one of these: (that daughter got for us to try).

In a mo I think I'll have a mug of tea (oat milk) and a row of dark chocolate:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Chandler's Ford, actually.

Yes. Aldi had, now my freezer has.

Unless there are sausages reduced tomorrow or Sat. :)

Christmas dinner was bambi-balls :)

In bags from the reduced fruit and veg section :)

Today's lunch was pie (reduced) in a bun (reduced), and dinner was pasta (Aldi) and cheese sauce (home Bargains).

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Even better. ;-)

Hehe. I like a pie now and again and again, no problem getting them.

Move away from the dark side. ;-)

;-(

But no, they are 'just' a light / lose bag of leaves. This was one of those large kebab boxes *bulging* full of freshly chopped salad stuff. It weighed like a box full of chips.

My Mum used to hound the man with the yellow sticker gun (he was using it, not her) in Tesco express and I guess that was something she had just grown up doing, 'making ends meet' etc. Dad left her with a good pension so she *really* doesn't need to now but still often does (of course). The problem is she often buys 'bargains' that she doesn't like and tries to give them to us. ;-(

We are giving our dog more fresh veg (more than might already be in the kibble etc) and it's interesting watching him eat it all (veg, 'complete' kibble and tinned meat).

Tonight he lifted the lump of cauliflower out of his bowl, ate half of it then went in for some carrot. Then he ate one of the sprigs of broccoli, the sprout then the meat / kibble, then finished off the remaining veg and the other half of cauliflower from the floor. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I assume you clowns mean aisle.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That Co-op was a Safeway and used to be our weekly "big shop"

Venison is one of the most animal-friendly and environment-friendly meats to eat.

I've got a stack of tinned fruit I bought as it was reduced.

I vary rarely eat tinned fruit, I just convince myself I do. I blame the episode of Porridge for convincing me subconsciously that a tin of pineapple chunks is a sought-after commodity.

Someone's labrador visited the garden this week and stole the fat balls put out for the birds.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Well spotted, this clown did.

Reply to
Fredxx

It is all posturing. The Coop claim to have ethical policies and support the community but its hardly supporting the poorer in society with their pricing policy.

Staying with friends in an area of the country where the only 3 supermarkets within a radius of 10 to 15 miles of where they live are Co-op shows me how really expensive they are, and I don't live in a "cheap" part of the country (S.E. Essex). My friends now get home deliveries from the more distant mainstream big supermarkets - a service expanded greatly in their area since the start of the covid pandemic.

It's easy to have price parity between goods if you have high prices to start with. Surely vegan "substitute food" should be cheaper anyway as the raw ingredients are cheaper? Perhaps some organisations have realised that a fool and his money are soon parted and there is a lot of money to be made from the vegan fad while it lasts?

If the co-op are embracing veganism as part of their ethical policies shouldn't that also stop selling meat, milk, butter, eggs, fish etc.?

I'm not sure why vegans are paying more for food. When I go and buy fruit and vegetables, nuts, spicy bean burgers and a variety of other goods I don't seem to be paying more than anyone else, however I don't get these items from the vegan aisle!

Reply to
alan_m

which Aldi is this?

cos round my way, the saving on buying 6 tomatoes in Aldi against Sainsbury/Tesco is 4p (65 v 69)

Reply to
tim...

well bugger me

I'll remember that the next time I need to buy a wheelbarrow wheel

Reply to
tim...