trailing edge or leading edge

I have a PSU for a LED panel. The PSU says 'dimmable. Leading edge or trailing edge.' Well it is dimmable. I tried it with a really old dimmer switch and it dims OK and is stable. Of course below a certain level it goes out, but I expected that. But the thing is, I'm going to buy a new dimmer anyway. Should I get leading or trailing edge?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Some dimmable LEDs aren't picky, but the ones that are seem to recommend trailing edge.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Correct. No idea why.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because they can withstand a fast turn off better than a fast turn on?

Reply to
TOJ

They dont blow up. They just flicker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Get one that can work as either eg a Varilight V Pro and you can also set the minimum brightness on them.

Reply to
ARW

Ordered. Thanks Adam.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Depends on the internal PSU. CR types do die, as the R dissipates way beyond design heat on a chopped waveform. Electronic supplies are happier.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr