Replacing dimmer switch with LED compatible?

I have a floor-standing 'mother and child' lamp which I rather like (doubles as a low-level ambient light and a full-on spot-light to help my failing eyesight to read comfortably. Looks similar to this one (no idea where mine came from): (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Now, the upper lamp uses a linear incandescent R7S bulb (230W on a dimmer). This has just blown, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to swap in an LED replacement (https://www.ledhut.co.uk/6-5-watt-halogen-r7s.html ) for economy reasons. Unfortunately though, the dimmers in the lamp are evidently not compatible, and it doesn't work.
I've dismantled the switch unit and examined the dimmer switch inside - it's this model (Hopestar LD-901): http://tinyurl.com/h5so69z (or http://www.dg-hopestar.com/En/ProductView.asp?ID8 ) - clearly not LED-compatible. So, am wondering whether there's any mileage in modifying my lamp somehow to accept an LED? I can see "LD-600D" on the far right of the Hopestar link, but can't find anything else about it. Wouldn't mind rewiring my lamp to a suitable flex-based switch if one was available?
Any thoughts welcome!
--
David

Do you use the dimmer? If not, I would just try and find an LED bulb that has the right output to create the "mood" that you're trying to set. We have a similar lamp and never adjust the dimmer after the first set up.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

We do use it, but might consider forsaking that facility to be able to use an LED lamp. It's normally used set at a low level when the TV is on. Would probably need to bypass the existing dimmer and use a flex- mounted switch instead.
Follow-up question... I'm not very good at electrickery, but am aware that some types of dimmer use correspondingly less juice when they are set low, whereas others use the same amount regardless of how bright the lamp is - is that correct? If so, which type is mine (http://tinyurl.com/h5so69z )? It's just that economy is the reason for wanting to do this (the existing lamp is a 230W halogen one), and there's less motivation if I'm burning less electricity when the dimmer is on low (as it usually is).
--
David

I think a lot of the issues with other forms of lighting is the fact that the wattage is mucch lower and cannot hold the semiconductor in conduct mode long enough for it to work. Many leds use a transistor psu and much like mosst switch mode supplies they need the mains to be there to work correctly. This issue also applies to the mini CFs etc as well. I'd have thought making an led dimmer after the power supply, ie some form of led replacement with its own built in dimmer was the way to go here. Even the crude leds that work via a rectifier and daisy chain with a series resistor are unlikely to work well with a standard dimmer I think. Brian
--
----- -
Lobster wrote:,

I like the Varilight vPro dimmers, they work well with low wattage LEDs.
I have some of them in MK Grid plates, but wanted one in a non-standard fitting, I found the bare module available locally - only problem I had was that first of all they got the wrong part from the stores a "dummy dimmer" which is in fact just an on/off switch but looks identical!
<https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/switches-sockets/rotary-dimmer-switches/1-gang-led-dimmer-switch-rear-module.html
check they will fit the volume you have available.
On 27/09/16 17:54, Andy Burns wrote:

+1 to them

+2 - I'm using one in a wall switch in another room; but sadly far too large for the current application.
--
David

On 27-Sep-16 4:56 PM, Lobster wrote:

I had to fit one of these for a security light switch to work. It says for fluorescent or low energy lamps, but it does work with my LEDs. I don't know whether it would work with a dimmer, but fitting one would probably be simpler than modifying the dimmer.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

Colin Bignell
Lobster explained on 27/09/2016 :

I fail to understand the issue...
To use an LED lamp on a dimmer, the lamp has to be a dimmable type. That you link to doesn't mention it is a dimmable version.
I recently swapped some 40w wall lights which are on a dimmer, for LED's described as dimmable. They work just as you would expect.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Many dimmers have a minimum load, LEDs are often below that.
Andy Burns used his keyboard to write :

Ah, OK I wasn't aware of that..
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Also dimmable LEDs tend to prefer modern tailing-edge dimmers, rather than older leading-edge dimmers.
grunted:

It does actually, if you look at the 'Specifications' tab. You need a dimmable LED lamp as well as an LED-compatible dimmer...
(That said, what I've been sent is *not* the dimmable option, which is a different issue I'll be taking up with the supplier shortly; but since I've discovered (after ordering) that my dimmer is clearly not LED-compatible I decided it was a red herring to mention that now... I just need to know at the moment whether the lamp's going back for replacement or refund!)
--
David

On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 12:12:11 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:

I managed to blow up some LEDs lamps by using them with a dimmer that was NOT LED compatable. I then got an LED dimmer which workls well although at the very lowest setting one of teh 4 LEDs in the kitchen won't turn on the other 3 are dim and I think I can see a faint flicker.
On 27/09/2016 16:56, Lobster wrote:

You can get the same type of LED that claims to be dimmable. On the Ledhut site it says that is an optional selection but the page gives no such option. On other pages where a LED has options there will be a tick box for each variant. Does the box that the LED came in say dimmable? If not other suppliers do have this option.
Are you sure that its the bulb that is blown and not the switch? The spec. says the LD901 also has a changeable fuse.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

I have some ancient MK grid dimmers - 25 years old at least. Replaced the bulbs on one circuit with dimmable LEDs (from ASDA) and they dim perfectly to zero. Dimmer is probably a 250-300w type, and the total load of the LEDs about 10w.
--
*ONE NICE THING ABOUT EGOTISTS: THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.