OT Speed awareness courses

It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on Thursday that I had been caught.

Reply to
ARW

Ah, you too?

They nab folks in for doing an accurate 34 to 38, stick yer in a classroom and subject ye to a lighthearted powerpoint presention. If above 38, you wouldn't have been offered the course, just the fine/points.

Very good course though, and the entertaining presentation here in hertfordshire was a bit like going to the comedy club down the local pub but without the alcohol.

Me watching the speedo and road signs like a hawk.

Reply to
Adrian C

You must have some right bastards around there. Nobody here has ever been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got away with more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It's all aabout the money. ACPO set up the courses and then ACPO recommended that people start being sent on them. ACPO are a private company.

Reply to
Road_Hog

I guess they didn't tell the pigs here then. This lot are probably just lazy, can't be bothered with the paperwork.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

They advised my missus, 35 in a 30 zone, to drive around in Third gear all the time;!..

And shes been droning on sanctimoniously moaning about that since..

Reply to
tony sayer

do what I did: ignore it. (similar speeds: I THOUGHT it was a 40...)

They said 'you will be reported to the police'

I may have well been, but the police didn't act.

In reality they make no money from reporting you to the police, so they don't bother.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there any point in attending these rather than paying the fine and taking the points?

The original idea seemed to be that, by attending the course, you would avoid the points - and any insurance implications.

But most insurance companies now want to know that you have attended the course - so there's no longer any advantage, unless you're in danger of being a "totter".

Reply to
Roger Mills

That makes sense. I went on one a few weeks ago, 23 people at £85 a pop

- £1955 revenue. Deduct 2 'driver trainers' wages for an afternoon, hire of a room, tea & coffee & a bit of course material - somebody is on a nice little earner....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Had to drive around twice as fast for a week, to make that back up again? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I find the bit about it not altering the way you drive interesting. I know several people who have attended the course. One of them came back with the statement "if there are streetlights then it IS a 30MPH limit end of". Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is 60MPH!

I just wonder if a lot of it is dumbed down. I always know the speed limit, I just choose to ignore it where conditions allow. In fact on housing estates I always do 20mph even if the limit is 30.

And not one person I know that has attended a course has said that it was patronising or a waste of time.

Reply to
ARW

Funny about this, a friend has a Morris Minor, and he swears that if he keeps exactly the same speed on a flat road the speedo hand wobbles for more than five mph each side all the time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

New speedo cable required.

Reply to
Adrian

No, the dumbing-down was probably only the attendees themselves, remembering selectively.

Reply to
Adrian

Or a spot of the gearbox oil has got into the head. That's what was causing it on mine.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , Brian Gaff writes

My Land Rover used to do that (and worse). Turned out that the drive worm on the back of the gear box was working loose when it warmed up. Drop of locktite cured that one.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Don't assume from what I said that I go tear-arsing around all the time. That's not the case - like you I use my own judgment and often go slower than the limit if I decide it's appropriate.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

Apart from me :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And me. And it hasn't changed the way I drive - I wasn't concentrating, as I was late home from work when we were running late on a project, and I knew I had to be off work the next day. A guy coming the other way passed a parked car, aimed carefully at me and turned his lights on. This put me off, and I didn't slow down the way I normally do at that place.

And the reason I was off the next day? My father's funeral.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Half of my insurance companies never asked for points, the others didn't check :-)

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger