OT Speed awareness courses

In message , Gefreiter Krueger writes

Very common acronym used on OS maps along with RUPPs

Reply to
bert

In message , Gefreiter Krueger writes

Or "knickers"

Reply to
bert

Never seen those. Just colour coded roads with whole words describing them in the key at the side.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

As the lootenant claims to live North of the border, he may not have seen the signs, or seen the designation on a map, as there is no requirement to put signs up telling you there's a right of way in Scotland.

Reply to
John Williamson

Several adjectives describing the knickers in detail would make for an amusing court session.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

We're more civilised than you lot.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Oh, good! I am happy to report that I'll get to find out soon...

Reply to
Adrian

You have the NIP or have you just been filmed:-).

Reply to
ARW

The very friendly Dayglo-clad man hidden in a hedge told me, once he'd put his hairdryer down.

Reply to
Adrian

But is it as a result of poorly though out safety measures?

I've been stuck at a level crossing for five minutes BEFORE any sign of a train. If this is common is it any wonder why people think they have a large margin of safety when jumping lights.

Around my way the council have changed all predestrain crossing lights times to give a pedestrian what seem half an hour to cross the road and they have introduced left and right filter lights on all cross road etc.

The result is that there are no longer gaps in traffic for people attempting to cross other than at a official crossing and many drivers running the red light in order not to be stuck at a junction for a long period.

Reply to
alan

Since TT allowed this so many rat-runs have become dead end streets. :)

Reply to
alan

The Police around my way seem to have X-ray vision and assume no pedestrian is deaf or blind.

Reply to
alan

If I get the offer I will attend the SAC course. If only to prove your working hypothesis about re-testing of all drivers. What do you think - a re-test every 10 years? I would be happy to re-test.

Reply to
ARW

So how does that work then?

Reply to
ARW

I'd suggest a retest after 12mo then 3yrs then 10yrs after the original test pass, then every 10yrs, until retests at age 75, 80, 85, 88, 90, then every year.

Also, somebody'd face the same "extended" test as can be court-ordered after a ban, if they fail either the original or a periodic re-test three times or more.

Adrian

Hmm.. I suppose compulsory testing at 70+ would be sensible. While I consider myself a safe driver a pass would require considerable brushing up on aspects of the Highway Code that I have forgotten or that have changed over the last 53 years.

Towing rules for instance seem pretty impenetrable.

Something beyond personally ticking the boxes on the health questionnaire. Shotgun and firearm certificate renewal (every 3 years) require comment from your doctor as well as a statement from a suitable acquaintance.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I like the 12 month and 3 year idea.

Reply to
ARW

Until a few years ago there was a section of road near here that was single carriageway, one lane each direction, no central reservation, no hard shoulder - however it was classed as a motorway and hence 70 mph limit for cars, but no speed limit signs. It was incredible how many people, even locals thought that it was 60 mph or even 40 mph!

It has since been downgraded to an A road and a 50 mph limit - it apparently makes the regulations for road closures, partial closures, etc. for maintenance simpler.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Many (all?) police forces publish where their mobile units are going to be for the week ahead. I'm sure some company provides an up to date database at a cost.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

ISTR that the whole section was originally NSL except for the last 40 mph section, but they had a lot of accidents.

It's another of those ridiculous roads crying out for split level junctions instead of grade level. Particularly the last junction before the motorway where there's always queuing traffic.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW