OT Speed awareness courses

Doesn't quite square with being unable to find me, which was what was claimed.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

Ah well yes. Perhaps they should have checked more thoroughly at that point. Although why would they think you'd moved?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Tomtoms let you mark them and share with others. I just keep marking them even if there isn't one. I just want to get people off the road so there are less delays for me.

Reply to
dennis

The maximum safe speed is the speed limit (or less) as other road users won't be expecting some idiot doing twice the limit and may well do something that it is normally safe to do. People that claim the safe speed is higher than the speed limit assume they are the only road user and have X-ray vision so they can see through objects.

Reply to
dennis

Not such an uncommon eventuality, I would have thought.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

You're trying to attribute common sense to police officers. Why?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

PC49, for those of us old enough to remember him.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Scary how much people didn't know. There's a lot of people out there who really pay no thought at all to how they drive.

Reply to
Clive George

I know the rule, but even then, it strikes me that it is possible to get caught if traffic in the road to your right builds up unexpectedly after you have moved forward onto the box.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Interesting one near me.

50 eastbound

NSL westbound

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That's unusual. I know stretches where the limit reduces to 30mph for several hundred yards approaching a roundabout (not such a bad idea in some circumstances) and, as a result, the opposite carriageway, carrying traffic in the other direction, away from the roundabout, is also restricted to 30mph (pointless, frustrating and inviting infringement).

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

30mph was deemed safe 80 years ago. Is it still the perfect speed limit?

The 70mph limit was brought in to save fuel, not to increase safety.

So there is no difference between driving on an empty road at 5am and driving on the same road at 4pm?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Something to do with the little slip road joining it?

Reply to
dennis

Its dark at 5 am and dipped lights restrict your visibility rather a lot. People are asleep and don't want to be kept awake by idiots speeding past making a lot of noise. The drivers are tired and not as attentive. Its easier for the cops to see you speeding.

All obvious things.

Reply to
dennis

Not the A470 from the A55 to Llandudno, by any chance. That has a whole series of ludicrous 30 restrictions at each of the roundabouts.

Reply to
Huge

"10% + a couple" is a safe rule of thumb so I was told many years ago. :)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I don't really think so. Westbound runs free, with no roundabouts. Eastbound has not far to MI J24, and there are also a couple of unidirectional barrier gaps.

The authorities got caught out there a few years ago during roadworks. They signed a 40 temporary limit, and at the end of the works displayed NSL, until I sent them an email.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The particular case I have in mind is the A34 from Wilmslow towards Manchester. This is the stretch where many Manchester United footballers dream up excuses about being pursued by paps.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

You don't get a criminal record for a fixed penalty notice, so either way,he wouldn't have got a criminal record.

Reply to
Road_Hog

It works nicely for me. I seem to be able to keep to 30 mph exactly without constantly watching the clock. Besides which, modern cars are designed to prefer that gear at that speed; presumably they always were.

Why did she need to be told? Is it something to do with being female?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer