Ot: Or not. tower fire...

they obviously have good taste as they spared that mustang ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

It's rather sad some want to immediately make political capital out of a tragedy - without a scrap of evidence.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This thread is now so big that I cannot afford the time to read it all. I would say that at present having gas in every flat and not turning it all off at source when a fire broke out sounds like a recipe for ultimate disaster. So many c*ck ups in this one seem to have been revealed already, one wonders where the so called experts were? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

nobody on here anyway .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The eco cladding they put on some flats around here is mineral wool and is rendered so it should stay in place assuming the fixings don't melt.

They also have two stairways!

Reply to
dennis

Speak for yourself

7 hours ago

While 1 hour ago

According to some experts, adding cladding to tower blocks could create an additional fire risk.

The process of applying the rain-proof frontage can create a

25mm-30mm cavity between the cladding and the insulation behind it, Arnold Tarling, chartered surveyor and fire expert with property firm Hindwoods, said.

He said this can have the effect of creating a "wind tunnel and also traps any burning material between the rain cladding and the building".

michael adams

michael adams

sorted then ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I think you'll find it was done in the name of the Decent Homes Standard. All manner of theories abound, but this was basically a Public Service Agreement . . . can't be bothered :-) :

The agreement effectively made LAs take on a liability they could not fund. This led to many stock transfers and demolitions. Where I used to live in Newham tower blocks were pulled down as 'uneconomic' in DHS terms. Certainly cleared the skyline . . .

I see where you were going, but I think this had little to do with the EU. Or indeed decent housing. More social cleansing and New Labour's privatisation programme (my own theory).

Reply to
RJH

Oh dear. The Tory party refuge for nutcases has been breached again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd suggest you tell the person I was replying to, then.

Hopefully an investigation will show it it was wrongly specced materials or poor installation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't that the guy who replaced NiFi as May's chief adviser?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I suspect insurers will have something to say about buildings with similar cladding ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't know what the legal position is here, but we ought to have a law permitting fire & ambulance to damage things if necessary to access life saving measures. I'd bet no such provision exists.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that's easy. Thermal cutout & if considered necessary a slow acting fuse.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

En el artículo , Bob Eager escribió:

No, that's Gavin Barwell, who was housing minister before the election but lost his seat. he sat on a promised review of fire safety regulations in high-rises for months following the fire at Lakanal House.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

They are not foolproof. I recently had a failed dehumidifier in a damp garage. The fan bearings had seized up and the compressor overheated. The thermal switch mounted on the compressor had obviously operated so many times that the contacts eroded and it then overheated too. It was badly charred and there were signs of a flame having partly melted and burned the plastic cover over the terminals. The molten burning plastic settled on a metal tray in the bottom of the main housing and did no further damage It was put out of its misery when the RCBO on that circuit finally tripped.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Then a bunch of firemen will bounce it or even pick it up and move it - I've seen it done. No excuse for parking in a way that blocks a road though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

At the moment a fair few could use the argument that they are traumatised, suffering anxiety and other mental health issues due to the fear of being in such a building, not sleeping, etc. The council will surely have to take account of what could be genuine cases.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Possibly this, though I'm not sure how it applies under English law:

Max Demian

yes give them own front back door ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...