Ot: Or not. tower fire...

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/revealed-external-panels-probable-cause-of-huge-tower-block-fire-spread/7019613.article
seems like this not the first time polystyrene and ply cladding has caused a major fire.
how the hell did building control allow it?

"Saki"

oh: it's ECO cladding.
well that's all right then....
--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that
Brian Gaff wrote:

Sometimes the planning docs show the consultation responses from e.g. highways, fire, environment agencies, apparently not in this case. ]
You would hope that buildings (such as this) which are out of the reach of Aerial Ladder Platforms get special attention ...

The building regulations are sposed to be written by those who have that knowledge.

That’s terminal fuckwicity.
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 07:56:11 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

ho

cy

as

-of-huge-tower-block-fire-spread/7019613.article

't

Building managers Chelsea Tenant Management Company hired construction firm Rydon as the lead contractor on the project.
Rydon hired Harley Facades to install the cladding, which was supplied by I pswich-based firm Celotex and manufactured by Omnis.
Let him that is standing beware he does not wall: Similar cladding used on Grenfell Tower was allegedly provided for 14 block s of flats across London.A salesman for Reynobond told The Times: “ It’s because of the fire and smoke spread. "The fire-resistant [variant] is fire-resistant. The polyethylene [PE] is j ust plastic."
A rough calculation suggests cladding panels covered more than 2,000 square metres on Grenfell, meaning contractors could have acquired the fire-resis tant version for less than £5,000 extra.
The PE panels are also rated as "flammable" in Germany.
An hose built under flamable cladding will not stand. How much of what is a warm roof made of?
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

You need to stop drinking.

The eco cladding they put on some flats around here is mineral wool and is rendered so it should stay in place assuming the fixings don't melt.
They also have two stairways!
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 05:32:59 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

There were some tower blocks in Southampton built in the 1960's that a decorative feature which was large panels up the sides made from the ends broken of thousands of brown beer bottles set in cement, a decade or two later they started to fall out regulary which was a bit alarming for people walking near. In the end all the panels had to be removed. One of the blocks had its own fire tragedy a few years though not on the scale of last nights, slightly on topic but building regs not DIY the incident lead to a change in some wiring regulations. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30845937
G.Harman
In this case though, back in 2007, the design of the refurbishment was changed to try to stop fire spreading it obviously did not work. Also the advice to the residents was stay in your flats. its a bloody good job that those on the fourth floor where it started ina faulty fridge freezer decided to knock everyone up and evacuate then and there. as for the rest we are still waiting to hear at this time. Brian
--
----- -
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cache of article behind paywall
<http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q che:4dGmvoKEtRAJ:www.insidehousing.co.uk/revealed-external-panels-probable-cause-of-huge-tower-block-fire-spread/7019613.article> > seems like this not the first time polystyrene and ply cladding has

It would be bad enough if was PIR foam which seems to manage to 'support' a fire while there's a source of ignition, but polystyrene seems like madness. Recent gas works in the street and the building have been mentioned.

Obviously BC docs aren't online, but PP docs are online, some may have details
<https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/planning/searches>
PP/12/04097
Some of the discharge of conditions documents show the cladding (mainly from an appearance, rather than construction PoV) Some appear to show rockwool slab behind aluminium cladding, but no actual mention of type of insulation, other docs on there may have details.
Streetview appear to have snapped it (on referendum day judging by polling station signs) last year
<https://goo.gl/maps/NRM2nuaqmXz
On 14/06/17 07:16, Andy Burns wrote:

There's mention on twitter of a fridge exploding as causing the fire.
Speculation aside, I did notice that the small fridge I bought for work last year has butane as the refrigerant. It did not seem like a good idea.

Well, it's good for the ozone layer ...
--

Roger Hayter

A viable design for a building like that shouldn’t see the entire building burnt down due to any sort of normal fire in a particular flat.

Sure, but it still shouldn’t be possible to set fire to the entire large building of that size.

never liked rain overcladding when I was in building control and I attended many fires in blocks before overcladding became all the rage and the fires NEVER went further than the flat involved.......

..it would appear fighting the fire from the "bridgehead" fire lobby off the one escape stair from the riser would appear not to be an option in this case.....god help my old colleagues in Building Standards this morning trying to figure out which of the different types of rain cladding used about here is similar to the London system .....always the same witch hunt when there is a disaster ......guarantee there has been dozens of fatalities ....bet it had plastic windows as well.....
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Not in this case, aluminium tilt & turn.

...rain screening....the new Ronan point .....don't think it will collapse though ........
On 14/06/17 08:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I think it is ply with EPP and a steel surface

Only by full enquiries can quality systems work to establish the cause(s) and ensure it doesn't happen again.

..have been...

Probably.
On 14-Jun-17 9:18 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That was used on another tower block that had a spreading fire. The information released on this one is that the cladding is two sheets of aluminium with a polyethylene core. This has been linked to fires in other parts of the world.

Colin Bignell