OT: Google Maps navigation problems

Second time this month, using Google Maps on Android phone with data downloaded in advance.

Getting close to destination, Maps freezes. Wakes up after I stopped for a bit, not in navigation mode and showing locations some miles from where I actually was. Not under trees and in very flat topography so no reason to lose GPS signal. Before it failed completely, it told me to take the next motorway junction as I was actually going over the top of the roundabout.

The first time I switched to backup TomTom hardware, second time Wife took over using Maps on her phone (which worked fine). After a few miles, my phone recovered its senses. But really, worse than useless with two fails in two uses just when I was completely reliant on it.

It's nice the way Google warns you quite accurately of traffic holdups (presumably from crowd-sourcing), also the "download in advance" feature seems good.

Anyone else had these problems? Budget phone (Moto G) but I don't see why that should cause the trouble.

Reply to
newshound

Having been in IT since the ZX80, I personally think anything Android is a bit gimmicky. OK for fun, but you wouldn't trust it in the desert.

Maybe try another mapping provider ? I like HERE maps for the very simple reason then when set to SatNav mode, it displays the current speed limit.

A quick Google reveals this is a feature that has been suggested/ requested for Google Maps since the year dot, and which they haven't got around to yet (or at least not in the UK).

Maybe I am just jaded, but it's taken a few hours to set up SWMBOs new phone, because there's no such thing as "Android". There is actually "some version of Android" + "manufacturers changes" + "network operators changes" which can remove or disable features almost at random.

Case in hand, I just installed an app, and it has to give 4 different examples of how to change settings to work (and they're not comprehensive, as none apply to this handset with this version of Android).

And even if you get it working now, be prepared for the next update to cripple it again.

In some ways, Android is the best ad for Apple I have ever seen.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I go back to Elliott autocode on the 803.

Not really the place for OS wars. Just to mention one point in favour of Google Maps rather than alternatives, Google's database means maps are integrated with usually reliable info on petrol stations, pubs, hotels, etc. And the ecosystem (if you use it) means that your phone knows about places that you googled on a desktop before the trip. Little things, but they all make life simpler.

Reply to
newshound

Huawei: I occasionally restart the phone, but I also use Waze rather than 'Maps'.

Apart from flat phone I haven't had any serious issues.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I use CoPilot on Android because it does routing for motor homes and caravans.

Fine 95% of the time but it does freeze up on very rare occasions.

Restart the phone and all is fine; shotgun/navigator is becoming expert at this.

So there may be something going on in the underlying OS and the GPS bits which knackers the navigation software now and then.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David
[51 lines snipped]

All a bit pointless of the app doesn't know where it is.

Reply to
Huge

Another vote for HERE. You can also download full country maps and keep them rather than just downloading Google's route maps.

Only problem I've had (so far) with HERE was in some crappy sleet/snow/ mist when it insisted that I was about 800 yds away from the A66 but running parallel to it for almost the full length Scotch Corner - Penrith.

According to me I was still firmly on the tarmac and not on the moor.

Reply to
Mark Allread

In message , David writes

I've never yet needed to reboot my paper maps :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Nor indeed have I had to reboot my Tomtom.

Reply to
Huge

I think it comes partly from they buying Waze a couple of years ago, and those users actively enter incident details, and partly from knowing which other android users have passed along the same streets at whatever speed recently.

Yes, it lets me download a large enough chunk of the country for my needs, and it keeps it updated roughtly monthly whenever it has wifi rather than 3G/4G connection.

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , newshound escribió:

+1.

Was in London last weekend with a mate. We wanted to find the nearest Tesco and both fired up Google Maps on our phones (his Android, mine Apple). It sent us off in completely opposite directions (!)

Fired up Apple Maps which got it right.

On many occasions, I've tried to use it as satnav and it's insisted on my doing a U-turn when I know perfectly well I'm headed in the right direction. Useless. It's odd, I don't remember it being this bad in the past.

A friend who is an Uber driver swears by Waze.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Weirdly, Waze uses Google Maps. (And may even belong to Google, IIRC)

Reply to
Huge

But was one of them the same as the Android solution?

This sort of thing can happen if there are two about the same distance away and the routing is set to minimum travel time (by car).

Not seen it do that - although I have had trouble with a Garmin once near Sheffield that insisted I should join M1 south to go north!

I presume they had upgraded the junction or something that was not in its map database. There was a slip road to go north directly.

Seen the car claim to be in a field parallel to the road sometimes too.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That just shows that everyone has different needs. I find Google's constant desire to tell me about businesses of various kinds when all I want are street names, postcodes and topography is its biggest disadvantage.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I have. It's obviously got a resource leak, it gradually goes deaf, then loses the ability to draw properly, can't keep up with my driving...

I just reboot it every few weeks. (in between it sleeps when not in use)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Tomtom have released three new versions of Nav 4 in the last 4-5 weeks so I have no idea if there is a resource leak that slow.

Reply to
dennis

Then it's time I did an update.

Andy