Car speeding alert device?

I'm now at 9 points on my driving licence, what gadgets and apps are there to help me avoid another speed camera?

An audible alert or a big red light please

[george]
Reply to
George Miles

A bicycle?

Reply to
GB

Some Satnat units have an over-speed warning.

Reply to
alan_m

My car has a speed limiter. Does the trick.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I routinely use cruise control, even in London.

Reply to
GB

When I got the car, I thought I'd use the cruise control (it's adaptive) all the time on motorways. But it's not really suited to UK driving.

However, the speed limiter is permanently on. If it auto-adjusted (I had a hire car which did) it would be perfect.

My only grumble (and no one has ever explained it logically - especially when the demister survives a power cycle) is when the car is started, it's always "off". So if you forget to engage it after driving off, it's useless.

Mind you, a lot of the "features" on the car are so abysmally implemented ... load and loads of minor irritations that add up to a lot of frustration.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Navigation with google maps automatically includes warnings now. Alternatively you can get downloadable databases for most sat nav units. The one maintained by

is quite good IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

The speed limiter on my car auto-adjusts to the speed limit, based on signs. Not 100%, but works very well. Not the same as cruise control.

And the car also intones 'caution' when a speed camera is coming up soon.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My Garmin has and the speed camera data is updated for the life of the device as well as the maps. (Tom Tom want a subscription after the first 3 months.)

As supplied it was on al the time but was a pain.

For example, drive at ~70 in a 70mph zone. Speed varies slightly up and down but every time it exceeds 70 - increases up to 71, say - it produces a bong.

All those bongs are a bit of a nuisance, so I turned off the default and it now only activates near speed cameras and in areas where mobile units patrol.

In fact, as I don't keep my eyes on the thing for obvious reasons, (!) the first bong is usually the first time I'm alerted of the risk.

Reply to
Terry Casey

+1 I use cruise control regularly to relieve me of the tedium of constantly monitoring my speed. When I reach a speed limit change point I just adjust the cruise contro, up or down, as needed. S'easy
Reply to
fred

Sat Navs give a warning- not sure if you can make them give an audible warning but they certainly change the display.

Some cars have a function built in - our motorhome (Fiat Ducato based) has and I think the Outlander has.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It's a Fiat, so there's no danger of it working. ;-)

Reply to
GB

When I had a Garmin, despite having lifetime maps, etc (and my informing them) it persistently had a road I use sometimes as NSL when it was actually dropped to 40 in 2010.

I wonder what liability exists when a person relies on the speed camera alert feature, and incorrect data (or operation) leads to a ticket ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I use the adaptive cruise control on my Toyota all the time, on and off motorways. It has no problem adjusting.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

mobile phone plus tomtom GO satnav

Dont have to key in a destination. It will ting at you for exceedeing speed limits and go beserk where known speed cameras are

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tom tom allows up to about 75 before it goes ting!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

HERE Maps app can give audible warnings (via bluetooth if connected).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On m'ways mine bongs at each camera above about 65.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suspect you mean "when a person relies on the speed camera alert feature despite the seller making it abundantly clear it may not be 100% right, and that it's always the driver's responsibility to check the speed limit for the road". I rather doubt a UK court would hold that such a term is unreasonable. Speed limits change and no system of updating can be expected to be 100% perfect and prompt.

Reply to
Robin

Yes but they are only as accurate as the databases of speed limits and or camera position information.

You may be surprised, but one way is to go on onne of those courses you get sent on to avoid points. If you have already done one then I fear you are beyond help or your speedo is bust! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)