Driving at night

Night driving is made harder by: People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights. Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air. Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere. Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes of drivers.

And simply getting old.
--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 1:42:13 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

+1
and bloody cyclops and those with one headlight high and one low

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming towards you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you didn't mention it.)
Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.
Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night vision of the drivers behind. (*)
Drivers who don't use full beam when it is safe/considerate to do so (ie when there's nothing in front of them) which makes it more difficult to see where the road ahead of them goes when you want to overtake them. I tend to put my beam on as soon as I'm level with the car, so at least *I* can see where the road goes beyond the distance that their dipped headlights lights up.
(*) I was once stuck in a long queue of traffic that had been diverted because the main road had been closed due to an accident. The diversion has a staggered crossroads where all four roads are busy so it needs traffic lights - but because it is staggered, the lights only let traffic in one direction (as opposed to two facing directions) go at once, so queues quickly built up. There were long period where the traffic was stationary, and then occasions when everyone shuffled forward about 100 yards. The guy in front of me kept his foot on his footbrake all the time he was stationary, so all I could see was three big red blobs from his brake lights. I put my sun visor down and closed my eyes. The light was so bright even through my eyelids that I could see when they went out and knew that it was safe to move forwards a bit. Even so, it was difficult to see the road ahead for the first few seconds because my night vision had been "destroyed" by the bright light and took a while to recover. I'm not sure whether he had an automatic and was too lazy to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake whenever he was stopped - after all, it was easy to work out that each time we stopped it would be for at least a minute. I suffered in silence because I didn't want to cause conflict, but eventually the guy behind me (who could see the brake lights through my windscreen) leapt out and yelled "For F's sake take your foot off the brake when you've stopped", and I heard a few cheers from other drivers behind me ;-) The offender decided to play silly buggers so he then took to doing an emergency stop whenever he got close to the car in front - luckily I wasn't too close when he first did it, and I was wise to his little game after that. I resisted the temptation (and it was hard to resist!) to put my headlights on full beam so *he* would be dazzled like he was doing to me.
On 07/02/2020 13:51, NY wrote:

Theoretically red light should leave *night vision* unaffected as the rods are only sensitive by and affected by blue-green light (which is why red lights are used in submarine cabins - to retain vision for the periscope at night). I suspect that there is too much light during normal driving to need the rods: and your blue sensitive cones should be OK.
--
Max Demian

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 16:39:23 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

I can adjust the ambient lighting in the car to various colours. I chose red.
Max Demian wrote:

Tell that to audi, their tails are blinding and not only in the normal place but at higher places.
On 08/02/2020 13:13, FMurtz wrote:

Wear glasses that are the complement to red. Cyan I assume.
--
Max Demian

That’s more evidence that there is something unusual about your eyes. The driver of the car you are passing can obviously see where they are going but you need more light there.
Since you made the original comment I have never been dazzled by those who keep their foot on the brake when stopped at lights at night,

That’s more evidence that your eyes take longer than normal to adjust.
I've never had that effect and have never had to close my eyes when stopped in traffic and almost no one here doesn’t keep their foot on the brake when stopped at traffic lights at night.

Or doesn’t see the point in doing that.

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 5:39:24 AM UTC+11, Rod Speed wrote:

e.

es

't

y.

on

I*

ic

me

so

just.

be

ke

our

so

ise

rd

I had a similar red rear light persistance in my eyes while waiting at traf fic lights. Turned out that I am the right candidate for Cataract surgery, and I got do ne on both eyes. Everything is hunky dory ever since. Infact I was missing some colours before the operation !

Interesting. I was told last time I had an eye test that I would need cataract surgery and the optometrist was very pushy about getting an appointment with a medical professional. I don’t have any real symptoms at all except that I do find that I find walking into the sun not as convenient as it used to be and have noticed that I see better with the sun visor down when driving.
Don’t get that stop light effect tho and I have looked for it since the comments on here showed up too.
NY wrote:

My car has an "auto hold" feature, where it keeps brake pressure applied once you take your foot off the brake, my previous card had it too.
The old car turned the brake lights off while held, so I made a point of taking my foot off the brake pedal, and do the same with the new car, but I've realised that the new one keeps the brake lights on until I touch the accelerator to move off again :-(

I've sometimes wondered if it was possible to construct a pull-down half-silvered mirror to reflect the brake lights back to the offender.
Offenders often had one brake light burnt out from over-use.
--
Dave W

On 08/02/2020 00:41, Dave W wrote:

I've had the opposite. Drivers who insist on driving on main beam when you are in front of them, but not very close. When I've been in my kit-car, letting them catch up has worked wonders - the body, including the rear panel, is mirror-finish stainless-steel!
SteveW

When I look in the mirror of my Defender at night I can see the reflection in the rear door of the brake lights of the car in front. Haven't found a use for it yet though.
--
bert

I don’t do the milage I used to since I retired but my solution to that was to install a spare rear view mirror on the top of the dash facing forward, most of the time it was angled well down but get somebody keeping their brake lights on too long it was easy to adjust so it reflected the red glare back into their car .
GH

And cars with LED headlights.

Cars with normal bulbs replaced with LED are the worse as the LED light source is not quite where the filament was. Therefore there is some scatter. Dirty lenses also scatter the light.

That entirely depends on the type of headlight. Projector types - with a bulls eye in front of the bulb - are very tolerant of bulb type. Tungsten, HID or LED all give a similar and well controlled beam pattern.
You'll see that demonstrated on U Tube if you're interested.
--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 16:35:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I would dispute that - some cars give a dazzling blue side spill due to the non-achromatic lens.
--
Dave W