Driving at night

Tell that to audi, their tails are blinding and not only in the normal place but at higher places.

Reply to
FMurtz

Wear glasses that are the complement to red. Cyan I assume.

Reply to
Max Demian

+1

Yep, the one we have is tilted down so far as to the face being almost horizontal and it's "hot spot" is still visible 50 yds down the road.

Dark skies friendly lamps do exist but I've yet to find any to compete with the shed £10 cheapies...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had the opposite. Drivers who insist on driving on main beam when you are in front of them, but not very close. When I've been in my kit-car, letting them catch up has worked wonders - the body, including the rear panel, is mirror-finish stainless-steel!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I can happily say that the PIR light on my garage (in my back garden), is angled so that the centre is quite close to the garage - both giving a "worklight" in front of the garage and keeping the beam below the tops of the 6' gates at the side of the house.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I can happily say that our exterior lights are 2.5 watt (or very close), and timed to a pretty short period. Perfectly adequate for our normal purposes. (We do have four - front, two along the side, back.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Except I question their claim that there is no evidence that amber night driving spectacles improve vision on the road. I use amber clip-ons, and I find them very effective in reducing the glare of blueish HID and LED headlamps.

Reply to
Fredxx

10/10
Reply to
John

I was talking about oncoming cars. The main beam may be dipped, but I get the blue spill just as they're passing.

Reply to
Dave W

Perhaps they were deliberately dimmed to save money? My local streetlamps are switched off completely at 1am.

Reply to
Dave W

They are on all night here like in most of London, but dimmed after a certain time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sometimes the blueness is strong enough to make me double-check it is not an emergency vehicle.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I guess it all comes down to subjectivity. Perhaps your particular visual capabilities are helped and the same doesn't apply globally. I've never tried amber night driving specs as my specs cost enough already. I probably am unaware of how lights appear to people with perfect unassisted vision. FWIW, I have never seen the milky way in all it's glory other than in photos due to the simple fact that the smaller points of light are not visible with my prescription.

Reply to
Richard

I can happily say that my exterior lights are not timed and are not used unless I am out at night or am actually sitting outside at night

They barely hit the drive, let alone the road. I have no neighbours

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dave W snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> writes

Perhaps. I'll check at other times.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hard to miss from somewhere like the Canaries. My astigmatism doubles point sources at night.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You can get glasses for astigmatism.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The OED defines the Milky Way as " The irregular, faintly luminous band that circles the night sky, now recognized as composed of billions of stars..." If someone claims to be able to see the individual stars in the Milky Way either (a) they don't know what it is or (b) they have /very/ big eyes.

Reply to
Robin

In e.g. Africa you can see *some* of the individual stars. By definition they are close to us

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you can resolve a star with your naked eye it is by the traditional definition I quoted /not/ part of the Milk Way. In order to include such stars you need to define the Milky Way as (a) all stars in the galactic plane or (b) our galaxy. I've not seen (a). OTOH (b) is a common second meaning now - as eg:

"The Milky Way is the galaxy that contains our Solar System, with the name describing the galaxy's appearance from Earth: a hazy band of light seen in the night sky formed from stars that cannot be individually distinguished by the naked eye."

Robin