Car speeding alert device?

WAZE warns you about fixed cameras as well. Not much use for mobile ones though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So do I.

You drive fast and think, he drives fast.

Reply to
Richard

Is it national idiot week ? I said upthread I informed them. Nothing changed. And I don't have the tools, time, or inclination to go ferreting around in a geodatabase to fix other peoples fuckups. Especially when my default setting is to stick to the speed limit anyway. Which is the most reliable way to avoid getting speeding tickets.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think it can distinguish between a stationary sign and one moving relative to the camera. Also I think there's some sort of algorithm at play that looks to check inputs ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How about average speed cameras ? Now appearing on an A road near you :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Since I - and presumably a lot of other less dim people - have also had that thought, the argument that speed cameras are a disguised revenue raising scheme is hard to rebut ....

Which is why I like my limiter so much.

What really grinds my gears :) is the current fashion to have roads that go 40/30/40/30/40/30 over a mile, as you go between Dozy-on-the-Wold, and Little-Inbred. It only takes a couple of cars in front of you, and the whole stretch effectively becomes 30. Why not make it 30 to start with, and save the metal and paperwork needed to have the changes. After all, even if you could accelerate in zero time, and proceed at the speed limit, you might save 2-3 seconds ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Traffic cameras create jobs in the public sector. Jobs that wopuld be lost if people obeyed the speed limits and didnt get caught

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The TomTom Go app will flag temporay cameras and ask you if they are still there. Conversely there is a button to report a mobile speed camera...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TomTom Go does those as well and shows your average speed over the section

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"I understand the Safeguarding Statement & confirm installation will be carried out by a qualified installer and wish to proceed:" !!!! Spoilsports.

Reply to
Andrew

There is an article on the DT website where someone filled UP the tank on their *petrol* car with Adblu. OMG, how do you do that ?

Reply to
Andrew

Got the same on a Yaris I drive quite often. Seems OK most of the time (definitely camera-based) but every so often simply makes up its mind the speed limit is something other than what it really is. For example, says it is 30 in a 40 zone. Usually corrects at next sign, but not always.

Also, does not know the difference between national speed limit on a dual carriageway and on other raods - just shows a derestricted (NSL) sign.

I also think it can get speed wrong where the limit is implied by street lighting.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Interesting, but of little practical use surely ? So you enter a monitored stretch of road do 10 mph over the limit for a bit, and then realise you have to finish the last mile 10mph *under* the limit ? (Unless you deploy your revolving number plate mechanism to f*ck with the

5-0 ?) ?
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I believe that is actually stated officially somewhere in slightly more circuitous language :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Does the tomtom really have enough information to know e.g. which camera locations act as entry and exit points into different average zones? Which I gather can operate differently per lane ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Average speed cameras are fixed ones. We have heaps near me. It seems to get updated pretty quickly about temporary average speed cameras in sections of roadworks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Put the adblue pump into the petrol tank?

Reply to
ARW

The ones around here have a speed limit sign with a picture of a speed camera on the last lamp post before the camera.

If you have not spotted the speed camera by that point then you deserve the points:-)

Reply to
ARW

I am not doing too badly ATM. A clean license for a change.

I accept a that a speeding ticket every couple of years goes with job (I do the mileage).

Reply to
ARW

Not London (because I don't ever go there), but I too use adaptive cruise control all the time.

Have been driving long enough to know always to leave a decent gap, etc., but it does make so much driving much more pleasant. I keep my eyes on what is going on outside the car rather than on the speedo.

And Here We Go is my favoured satnav app - largely because it was one of the few that works almost identically on IOS and Android and is "free". It has several speed warning options including allowing a small overspeed.

In reality, I find my car showing 62.5 is reported as 59.9 on satnav - minor variations but consistently pretty close. (No motorways nor any dual carriageways at all within twenty miles of home.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google