Car speeding alert device?

Basically, yes. If you have done the first bit 10 mph over the limit which you WILL get a warning about

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It seems to, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But you have to be navigating it wont do that full time.

Reply to
%

I like it because (a) it has speed limit display, unlike Google Maps, and (b) it has a "driving mode" which just sits there showing speed limits, total time driving, total distance covered, and direction. Admittedly I've not checked the market recently ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Speedometers always read high. A good check of a Satnav's accuracy is to compare the speed shown with those roadside radar signs you encounter - usually on entering a 30 limit.

My Garmin is always bang on.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Which part of "shows your average speed over the section" do you not understand?

Just slow down until the average speed indication agrees with the speed limit.

Reply to
Terry Casey

All of it, apparently.

Reply to
Richard

Yes - I know. Given that is the case, I was actually pleased as it means one speed control control "click" (2.5 mph) over limit (as displayed on speedo) takes me to actual speed limit (as displayed on satnav) to within a pretty tight margin.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

They are called eyes. You have two of them on the front of your face. You should view speed traps and cameras as just another road hazard.

Various GPS devices can be programmed to warn of known speed camera locations but if you don't keep your eyes open when driving you will still be caught by the mobile units in lay-bys and motorway bridges.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'd have thought that getting caught three times for speeding would tell the driver they're not competent to speed.

Reply to
mm0fmf

That's three times in three years.

Hence the nine points and is bad luck.

I have usually spread my speeding tickets out over my 30 years of driving.

I once was on 9 points. I was so sure that I could have just told the magistrate I needed my license for work and they would have allowed me to drive I kept on speeding.

Reply to
ARW

Google maps added a real time speed display a short while back (although it does not show the limit)

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh it's had real time speed display for yonks. Probably as long as it

*hasn't* had a "current speed limit" display (like HERE WeGo, which is why I use HWG over Google).

I did lurk on the Google forums about 4-5 years ago - and there was a lot of calls for a speed limit display then. (If as you say it's still not available, then it speaks volumes about Googles relationship with it's customers). There were a few "apps" that were supposed to run in parallel with Google Maps and overdraw the speed limit from their database. Even if they had worked (they didn't) none of them had a UK database. Also, I have learned through experience to be wary of "apps" that require anything of Google. I've had a couple simply stop working after Google changed Android to remove certain features.

Google Maps is OK on the desktop and for non-driving use. But so far it falls short for me.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Fast lane ? W.T.F. Read the Highway Code

Reply to
fred

Works fine for me except for the lack of a speed limit display and pings when you exceed that.

Reply to
%

I didn't say it didn't work. But I want a speed limit display at all times, which despite years of people bugging Google for, still isn't there.

Meanwhile, HERE maps has had it since I first used it - 6 years ago. Job done.

One of my reservations about Android Auto is it's insistence on using only Google Maps for it's navigation. Which (passim) doesn't fit with my needs.

That said, you'd have to go a long, long, long way to find a sat nav/app worse than the inbuilt Citroen one - especially if you are using it to get there ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Not that I was aware - at least in the bundled navigation app on Android phones, live speed readout only appeared a few months ago when they added the "+" sign icon for reporting blockages etc.

(having said that, its not always clear exactly which app we are calling google maps - since the maps and navigation apps on the phone seem subtly different)

I find as an infrequent user, its "ok"... For years I used a dedicated Tomtom Go 700 - In its heyday it was better than using my phone for navigation which felt rather "austere" in comparison. With time the position has reversed though - the phone version faster and includes real time navigation and feedback that my old non connected tomtom does not, and the dedicated device now has too little storage[1] for the latest map updates.

Note however I have never bothered adding a standalone navigation app to the phone - which may well be better.

[1] One of the ironies being when I chose the Tomtom, I went for the version with the built in 2.5GB hard drive, since I figured the maps would ultimately outgrow the capacity of the SD card versions (at the time, a *big* SD card was about 256MB) :-)
Reply to
John Rumm

I find the audible pings quite erratic and the speed limit display is much too small on a smartphone.

Reply to
%

*Shrug* No problem on mine.

Most of the time it's bleeding obvious what the speed limit is - really you shouldn't need any assistance at all beyond your knowledge of the highway code. However, despite all the official "guidance"[1] there are still roads and situations where you cannot discern the speed limit, and any evidence you might need to prove that to defence a speeding charge will be long gone. Hence it's nice to be able to check.

[1]I've been told a few times that no roads have a change of speed limit of more than 10mph, but around me there are a few 60->30 and 50-> roads.

Ideally if the app "pinged" on change of limit ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Its better to have it ping when your current speed is x faster than the current limit because as you say most are aware of the current speed limit most of the time and what you need is to be told when you have missed a speed ;limit change. And that also means that you don?t need to try and read the tiny current speed limit display while driving either.

Reply to
%