Replace Car Sat Nav with 10" Phablet

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds on Amazon. Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know which of the many is the best one). Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat nav with a much smaller Screen ?

It's the way I've done it for quite a while now. I've used both my Moto G phone and my cheap Argos/Bush 7" phablet. Both work well, the app I use is Here! (was Nokia, now someone else) which is free. A big advantage of the phone/phablet is that it recalculates much faster than any dedicated SatNav I've ever used.
--
Chris Green
·

john.west wrote:

    Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need for a sim payment.
On 09/01/2017 10:57, Capitol wrote:

Would a ten inch screen be a bit too big? Distracting, plus causing a blind spot.
Can the app download the entire UK map over wifi before you set off, or would you be using loads of data whilst on the move?

The app I use (Here!) works off-line, i.e. with no phone data required.
--
Chris Green
·

On 09/01/2017 13:26, Chris Green wrote:

There are many that will download maps for offline use, but a major advantage of the "connected" apps is that they can get real time traffic data and reroute if necessary (before you reach the blockage).
--
Chris B (News)

And allows you to hoon along while you can well before the congestion if you need to get there at a particular time too.

I used it on a very long run in to catch a train and it was completely hopeless compared with google.maps we were running in parallel on a different phone predicting the arrival time due to congestion.

Don’t really need the entire UK map.

google.maps doesn’t use loads of data if you don’t store the maps in the device.
On 09/01/2017 19:24, Rod Speed wrote:

It might not in the backwaters of oz where there is one road but it does around here.

It doesn’t in the capital citys which are just as info dense as yours.

BULLSHIT.
On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 16:51:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

re the maps in the

ours.

CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB.
http://swldxer.co.uk/chisinau.jpg
wrote

Doesn’t even have any street view.
Just another steaming turd...
On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 18:02:09 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I can see where I am with my own eyes when I get there.

Useless when you want to see which of the possibilitys appeals to you most from the street view.
On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 20:18:52 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I had to zoom in to Chisinau, enter the Lat/Long onto my GPS III and drive there in 2008.
On 09/01/2017 10:57, Capitol wrote:

The advantage of having an "online" connection is that you can get real time routing and feedback. So for example I find I quite often use my phone when I want satnav these days - just with the built in google maps / navigation, and find the dynamic routing is quite nice - something I don't get with my "offline" tomtom. The data cost seems fairly low (although I only use it occasionally)
--
Cheers,

John.

Yeah, can be handy when you have to get somewhere by a specific time for an appointment or to leave on a flight or train etc. It did allow me to see we were cutting it very fine from a long way out so I could drive like a hoon while I could because of the congestion it knew about in the city proper.

Yeah, I havent used my for years now.

Yep, bugger all and I pay 7.2c/MB for data.

I use it weekly, mostly for the garage/yard sale run to get right to the door with the places which include a street number and with streets I can't quite remember where they are even tho I recognise the name.

But that’s all it can do and at £40 I bet the maps arent a patch on google.maps.

No need for a sim payment with the right sim, you pay for what you use.
"Capitol" wrote in message

I don't do much intercity driving these days but at price, I'd get one. Which model please? TIA.