Replace Car Sat Nav with 10" Phablet

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds on Amazon. Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know which of the many is the best one). Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Reply to
john.west

It's the way I've done it for quite a while now. I've used both my Moto G phone and my cheap Argos/Bush 7" phablet. Both work well, the app I use is Here! (was Nokia, now someone else) which is free. A big advantage of the phone/phablet is that it recalculates much faster than any dedicated SatNav I've ever used.

Reply to
Chris Green

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need for a sim payment.

Reply to
Capitol

Would a ten inch screen be a bit too big? Distracting, plus causing a blind spot.

Can the app download the entire UK map over wifi before you set off, or would you be using loads of data whilst on the move?

Reply to
GB

Simon Mason

The advantage of having an "online" connection is that you can get real time routing and feedback. So for example I find I quite often use my phone when I want satnav these days - just with the built in google maps / navigation, and find the dynamic routing is quite nice - something I don't get with my "offline" tomtom. The data cost seems fairly low (although I only use it occasionally)

Reply to
John Rumm

The app I use (Here!) works off-line, i.e. with no phone data required.

Reply to
Chris Green

Are you proposing using it with a SIM card? If so, presumably the ongoing cost would be higher.

I can also see that it would only work if you had a passenger; you couldn't really mount something that size for driver-only use.

Personally, I love the basic TomTom I have; the lane guidance is especially useful when at a large, unfamiliar junction.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

WifFi hotspot? Assuming your provider allows tethering or doesn't complain if you do

Yes, it is on the big side!!

Dynamic traffic updates can be very useful. There have been a few times when it has paid off, and also the occasions when I ignored the alternative route which I then regretted.

Reply to
Fredxxx

There are many that will download maps for offline use, but a major advantage of the "connected" apps is that they can get real time traffic data and reroute if necessary (before you reach the blockage).

Reply to
Chris B

I can't even get rid of that flaming DAB antenna.

Reply to
Simon Mason

THE DAB ANTENNA ON THE NUVICAM, YOU IDIOT. I'VE HAD A DAB ANTENNA FOR MY SONY SINCE 2008!

Reply to
Simon Mason

Thanks to all. that should have been SHMBO not HHMBO (Freudian Slip ?) I only have a 'pay as you go' tariff , so need a program that downloads the map offline and then just uses the phone GPS to give a real time location on the map. Thanks.

Reply to
john.west

You never used to write in capitals. Why do you lose your temper so much nowadays?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

MdDS.

Reply to
Simon Mason

CAN YOU GET A JEWISH YORKSHIREMAN?

Simon Mason

is a free SIM that gives 200MB a month. Just topup by 2 pounds every 6 months to keep it alive. That should be enough to satnav use but, if not, just order several!

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It will be my preferred solution for the next car. Inbuilt sat-navs and media systems are shit (certainly the Citroen one) and really just a vector to gouge you for ludicrous "updates" and the like.

£1,600 extra for something you can get for £100 which is far more useful (*and* can be carried from car to car).

It's a no brainer.

It would be quicker to say that the FM radio works, than to list all the faults I have found with the inbuilt system.

I only got it because I wanted adaptive cruise control (which is very good). If I had paid for it in it's own right, the car would have gone back.

Reply to
Jethro_uk