TomTom

Any experts here? Have an XXL, a few years old, and tried to buy the latest UK maps using TomTom Home 2. Everything goes just fine - until I come to pay. Neither Paypal or credit card works. Can't get to either the Paypal site or to card authorisation.

Tried it several times on different days on two different computers both running Win7.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hate TomTom, and I don't (won't) have one. There used to be a TomTom forum discussing how paying folks could not get hold of anybody to listen to their complaints, then TomTom announced that it was going to be axed as there wasn't sufficient use of the forum. Rot, there were growing numbers of frustrated contributors, TomTom could not keep up with the complaints. There were lots of problems just like yours, of people paying for lifetime updates, and then not working when they tried to do so.

Reply to
Davey

And just got an email from Tom Tom offering what I've tried to buy on a deal. Using the link in that I've managed to buy it - although Paypal still wouldn't work but my CC did. It is installing at this very moment. Slowly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

computers both

I love my TomTom. The only complaint is that downloads are slow and sometimes fail at first attempt.

Reply to
Lawrence

I've now had 2 out of 3 fail catastrophically after a few years of use. Not battery failures.

Reply to
Capitol

I pretty much agree with you. I got a TomTom One about 10 years ago but you can no longer update the maps as it won't take a memory card bigger than 2GB so it had to be replaced. Thus, about 18 months ago I got a near top-of-the range TomTom 5100. It's better in that it gets traffic jam updates over the mobile phone network and (sometimes) routes sensibly around jams, but is worse in almost all respects. For example: very short battery life so have to use plugged in almost all the time; crashes frequently requiring a re-boot; map downloads initially or when updating take literally hours from TomTom's obviously very inadequate servers; very poor user-interface in almost all respects; some settings like whether the sound is on changes unpredictably during use and requires a re-boot to reset; and simply cannot find streets by name in some towns (though the UK postcode directory seems to be ok). I can't imagine how such awful buggy software made it out the door. And as you say, there are so many complaints that they no longer bother to reply to them. I have no idea whether other brands are better, but find it hard to believe that they could be worse.

Reply to
Clive Page

So if you want a satnav that can route around traffic what are the decent options? A smart phone with 4G? Garmin?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't pay for lifetime upgrades. I'm trying to pay for one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It has worked here first time. Only really stupid thing is it's wiped out all my previous destinations, etc.

What idiot wrote this software? All I wanted was my GB maps updated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got an email on on 23/03/2017 in the following terms:

REMINDER: IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING MAPS & SERVICES UPDATES

The best navigation experience comes through up-to-date and reliable map information.

Last November we informed you that due to technical limitations we've stopped offering the latest map updates and other content to our first generation devices.

We're committed to map and software quality, however at this point our first generation navigation devices cannot run our new maps. Click here to learn more.

We're offering you an exclusive replacement offer so you can keep driving with an up-to-date and reliable sat nav.

Reply to
Scott

My neighbour has an ancient TomTom. He prefers it to the built-in satnav on his newish Toyota Avensis. I'm sure he has got downloads for it, but it took ages to download.

Reply to
Andrew

Also this from tomtom:

Every day, at TomTom, we work very hard to bring you the best navigation experience ever. A big part of this work is to continuously improve the quality of the maps and software that your sat nav runs on. As a consequence, however the memory required to install these higher quality maps increases every year.??

As we work tirelessly to launch new technologies and deliver a great customer experience, it has become clear that some of our first generation navigation devices do not have sufficient memory to store the newest maps and features available. For example the map of Europe is now more than 7GB and the average map size increase per quarter is

400MB.

TomTom solved this situation by dividing the installed map into smaller regions (Map Zones) which are available to download when a device is connected to the TomTom Home software. However, we foresee that in less than 6 months, even these smaller regions won't be able to fit into your device.

For this reason, we have stopped sales of map updates and other services as of 15/11/2016. Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update.

If you have an active subscription to map updates or TomTom services, you will continue receiving those until the subscription runs out. For additional information head over to the FAQ page.

The latest generation of TomTom devices now come with Free lifetime updates for World Maps, Traffic and Speed cameras. Maps, services and software are easily updated via Wi-Fi without the need to connect to a computer. They are also the fastest devices we have ever built, with quad core processors and 16GB of memory (expandable via SD card).

In case you think it's a good time to consider replacing your TomTom device, please see more information on our latest devices below.

Reply to
Scott

If you succeed in paying, you may later regret it!

Reply to
Davey

Yes.

Reply to
Davey

I have a TomTom with free map updates but now I tend to use Google Maps and a smartphone. Quite impressed yesterday when that routed me past one problem on the A303 and another on the A30. Interestingly, it just "did" the first one, but for the second it said "There is an accident on the A30, you can save six minutes by detouring on to London road, tap the screen if you don't want to detour".

Can't really judge what it saved, but I did meet an ambulance with blues going coming off the A30, with no other traffic emerging.

Reply to
newshound

so what's the cheapest way to get a satnav system using a smart phone? bearing in mind that in general I make about 5 mobile calls a year otherwise?

And have no desire to use it other than as a smart satnav and for emergency calls. And maybe taking pictures when I forgot the DSLR

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why? I'm quite happy with it. Just wanted up to date maps. Still cheaper at about 40 than buying a new one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds totally different to my tomtom 600 which uses the same software.

It does take a while to put 8g of maps onto it but its only USB so not exactly quick. The maps download at ~25mbits/s.

The battery life is fine if its actually charged but it won't charge properly from the supplied charger if its actually navigating when plugged in, it appears to use more power than is available.

Its also run out of memory as the latest maps are really big. It will take a card but Tomtom allow you to select different areas to install so you can have say the UK + western Europe as a subset.

Its also very good at avoiding queues as my daughter found out when most of Brum was suffering from flash floods, she took 1 hour to do a journey that normally takes 40 minutes, others took two hours for similar trips.

Reply to
dennis

Nokia's (or what was Nokia's) Here! Download it using WiFi and then tell it to run without using an internet connection. It's an excellent satnav and costs you nothing at all.

Reply to
Chris Green

Any android phone and a 200Mb free data per month three sim with £2 of credit on it to make calls.

Reply to
dennis