Vermiculite insulation used as packing?

I'm about to pack a couple of electronic items up for shipping.

I don't have any bubble wrap or polystyrene beads but I do have some spare vermiculite.

Any reason not to use this as a filler to the package?

AFAIK it is not irritant in any way.

Items in plastic bags, obviously.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

If it is like what is in our loft it will be a sod to get out of any nooks or crannies in what you are sending. When it comes to sweeping it up its li ke dealing with ground up polystyrene. Bubble wrap or polystyrene beads are not that expensive from your local Office Depot and the like and even chea per online. Its not worth the hassle and your recipient will be grateful.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I get the joy of unboxing stuff from one company regularly that uses cardboard that's been fed thru a cross-cut shredder. Makes an absolutely appalling mess.

@OP: Scrumpled up newspaper works well.

Reply to
Scott M

Vermiculite can contain asbestos. Unless you are sure yours doesn't....

James Harris

or cheap pillows from Tesco / Primark etc.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I once had to pack something a bit fragile and had nothing to hand, and no time to get anything. I the end I used selected contents of the bin - plastic containers mainly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Go and buy some plain popcorn.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is it going to be heavy though? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The package or the packing?

The attraction of the vermiculite was the lightness and small particle size.

Fairly close to polystyrene beads.

The items would be in plastic bags to keep the packaging material out.

At the moment trying scrunched up plastic sheeting from around bulk packs of bog roll in Lidl. Scavenged a stronger box and a load of plastic.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David