Strong magnets and handling of same

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package as they usually do) and were a real bastard to slide apart because the washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I know people with genital piercings H&S warning should be supplied with such magnets the last ones I brought did.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , David writes

Bugger - although I was expecting a photo of a large and painful blood blister :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Been there, got the tee shirt, had to reorder :(

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If children swallow more then one,the intestine can be pierced.

harry

You don't need piercings. I was in a client's office, and they had some large spherical rare earth magnets about 30mm diameter holding notices on a metal notice board. They were hard to pull off the board. I was playing with one, and one of their staff told me to be careful. A few months before, someone had put one in each trouser pocket, at which point they smashed together very hard, and he had to be rushed to hospital in agony.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

T work we had some 'pancake' motors about 4" dia. The magnets were about

3"x¼" and f'ing strong. I went to put one on the side of a filing cabinet and got little pinches on thumb and 2 fingers, fortunately not blood blisters. The magnet had to be slid off as it was too thin to lift off.
Reply to
PeterC

the most dangerous is if children swallow them. They then pull together inside and shut of circulation to the tissues that are in between.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

An interesting thing to do is to drop a one down the inside of a copper tub e.

(I leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out what will happen.)

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

th such magnets the last ones I brought did.

Now that is amusing, you know he could be into a fetish and could well have enjoyed the experience. ;-) When a friend asked me in the mid 90s "so what weird stuff is on this world wide web, so I downloaded a clip of a women in stiletoes walking on a mans bollocks, he was loving it, I do find this sort of thimg difficult to unde rstand but as long as he's only hurting himnself I wouldn't ban his fun.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Reply to
David

I'm guessing it will drop very slowly.

Once at CERN I had the chance to be inside a large electro-magnet with the power on. About the size of a small room inside, it used 2MW DC. You had to remove anything with metal in it - watch, belt, etc. Powered up, it was then interesting to do things like take a solid ally cylinder about the size of a tin of baked beans, and support one side of the bottom with a finger, and watch it rotate as if in almost zero gravity. Once off your finger it then fell in the normal way.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If it had been AC that powered the magnet, you'd get induced eddy currents and the "tin can" would glow red hot - now that would have been impressive.

I'd be no good in an AC magnet of that size because I had a metal stent fitted in one of my heart arteries after a heart attack. A DC magnet would be fine as long as the current was increased slowly rather than instant-on, because stents are non-magnetic. Likewise presumably for metal hip joints.

Reply to
NY

PS: I haven't seen "same" (in the thread title) used as a pronoun, where I'd have used "them", since I was a lad and went to the pantomime at the City Varieties in Leeds. The programme said "if any lady patrons are wearing large hats, will they kindly remove same" which I thought looked archaic - like "all tickets must be shewn" (instead of "shown").- even in the 1960s, never mind the 2010s.

Reply to
NY

"Strong magnets and their handling" would be better, but I refer "same" anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

ICBA to search Youtube, but there are videos out there showing lumps of copper being dropped down the axis of a hollow vertical strong electromagnet, and falling very slowly because of eddy current "braking".

Reply to
newshound

Blame exposure to books like "Comic and Curious Verse" in my childhood and youth.

For example:

"Which I wish to remark, And my language is plain, That for ways that are dark And for tricks that are vain, The heathen Chinee is peculiar, Which the same I would rise to explain."

gives some explanation of the poem, which set out to satirise racism but was instead taken seriously by many.

for one version of the full text. Worth a read IMHO.

I have read a lot of stuff in my time.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to