Magnets

I have a pair of swinging doors and thought about using disc magnets to help them close neatly.

What's more important, diameter or depth? Or both?

Reply to
R D S

You might end up putting thin pvc tape on the face of the magnet.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Strength, I think.

You are wishing to pull the door closed from a distance and that requires considerable pulling power. But, as the magnet and the other part get close, the force rises sharply. You might do better with a very strong magnet but mounted in such a way that the two parts never actually touch at all. Also, if you use a powerful magnet and the parts actually touch, it might require an excessive effort to open the door again.

Reply to
polygonum

What do you mean by "neatly" ?

The pulling power of the magnet is critical and very sensitive to its separation. The most important thing will be attaching the magnet(s) firmly to the door in a way that they cannot come free or impact.

Magnets powerful enough to damp a swinging door represent a serious trap hazard to fingers, flesh and bone. The magnets are ceramic and inclined to break if they ever get hit. One magnet donut type with a screw hole in the middle and a mild steel plate might be cheaper.

Beware of zapping magnetic strips on passing bank cards too.

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1 to all that, but with something like this you could put a pair at the very top and very bottom, set into "holes" so that the metal could never touch.

You might also be able to use them at the "hinge" end.

Reply to
newshound

My Blackberry came with a handy little wallet that contains a hidden magnet.

It's the car park tickets and hotel room key-cards that are most susceptible, and I speak from experience.

Reply to
Graham.

Alignment, magnets settle in one place......

Reply to
Adam Aglionby