strong tissue blocking sewer pipes

Normally toilet tissue will completely break apart after being in water for a short period of time. But these so called 'moist toilet tissues' now for sale in some supermarkets do not dissolve at all.

Will the sewerage system in north London U.K., deal with these Strong type moist tissues o.k., or is there likely to be trouble with blocked pipes, etc?

Reply to
johngood_____

Next turd passing pushes them out of the way like a battering ram.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You'd be so lucky - or similar lyrics!

To the OP, what is the brand, are they advertised? I'm worried that SWMBOd might be guilible enough! Maybe I'd ought to accompany her to Tosca this weekend!

Reply to
Clot

Wow that's the name of my cat (Tosca).

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

So it's your cat who thinks she's Sarah Bernhardt at 4 am?

Reply to
cerberus

I suspect once they hit the main collector line, it's large enough that it would cause no more problem than all the other non-water soluble stuff that gets flushed.

I had to auger out the smaller line between the house and the street once. Ended up being plugged because the SO was using these and they ended up catching on a burr inside.

Reply to
Robert Neville

"johngood_____" Normally toilet tissue will completely break apart after being in water

If you mean the ones like Baby-wipes, they are not advised for flushing. Especially if on a septic system. Yes, they can block pipes. We have problems with Marines on ships doing that all the time .

Reply to
cshenk

I suspect that you are right, but it is the local difficulty that I wish to avoid!

Reply to
Clot

I was using a corruption of Tesco when scripting my misssive. Many on this side of The Pond, particularly on some islands off the mainland coast, spend much time purchasing their daily needs there.

They are creeping into CA as "Fresh and Easy" or something similar. Not quite sure how they sit as major grocery stores planet-wise at present. No prizes for guessing No.1 - Walmart, number 2 I think is Ahold with a battle for number 3 between Carrefour and Tesco.

Very interesting when talking to folk in Beijing where these stores are opening and also sourcing foods for other markets.

Reply to
Clot

That is what I like ,giving it in plain english.

Reply to
allan

Are these the circular, diameter maybe 3 inches, "Tucks", or something larger? How much larger?

I guess if these things really do catch on burrs, etc, then maybe a ziploc bag nearby to put them (used) in *might* be worth a try? They come already-wet (witch hazel, I was once told), and maybe wouldn't stink so much if the bag were then "zipped" shut (after most air compressed out, of course)?

I took a trip to Guatemala once, and down there you're told to put even toilet paper in the waste-basket -- NOT to flush down the toilet (sewer etc can't handle it?).

David

Reply to
David Combs

Experienced the same in Turkey and Cyprus. Different cultures, different sewage system expectations.

Reply to
Invisible Man