Ebay insanity again

719A mortiser. Seller's minimum bid is $693 plus $85 shipping, total $779.

On sale at Woodcraft it's $719 plus $44 sales tax, total $763.

Wonder if anyone will bid on this?

Doug Miller

I really dislike that guy - Bibb Tool and Cutter. He lists all his Jet tools as "Jet/Powermatic" so that when you do a search on Powermatic you're forced to see his Jet auctions as well. I complained to him and he told me if I didn't like his auctions, don't read them. He said Jet owns Powermatic, thus it's okay.

In case you're thinking along the same lines, it's like listing a Crown Victoria as a Lincoln, because Ford owns Lincoln.

I complained to ebay (keyword spamming is a TOS violation), but haven't seen anything yet. I invite you to do the same. I notice that none of his Powermatic auctions have "Jet" in them.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Of course! Unless you think humanity has changed in the past few moments...........

Reply to
Young_carpenter

Maybe someone that doesn't have a Woodcraft nearby.

Robert

Reply to
Robert L. Witte

Amazon has free shipping. Woodcraft has a web page. Still not a good deal on eBay.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bob,

But since they are bidding on eBAY, you would think they have the ability to check the current pricing at various online sources and KNOW they are getting ripped off

John

n 14 Feb 2004 14:49:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Robert L. Witte) wrote:

Reply to
John Crea

Easy enough to fix...when you search for "Powermatic" just put "-" (w/o the quotation marks or signs) after it and you won't see any of his auctions. I have to add "-sendeancameras" after my Bronica camera searches to filter out another keyword spammer.

Reply to
George

Good trick to know, thanks!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I'm interested in a neanderthal tool (a froe) and know where to get a new one at a reasonable price. I see that on Ebay, used ones routinely sell for more than an identical new one. Of course this may not count if you're looking for a antique.

Bidders simply don't check around. A few minutes spent on a search engine like google could save them some bux, but apparently no ones interested in saving money.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Actually, -jet does the same thing. It just irritates me that I have to do that to avoid the stuff.

Thanks.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Sorta like how most of the world seems to feel with respect to email spam.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

Greetings and Salutations...

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:19:22 GMT, Lazarus Long wrote:

I don't know that folks are uninterested in saving money...but I am SURE that they are deluded about Ebay. Ebay has the same problems that exist in any other auction. Folks seem to think that BECAUSE it is an auction they are going to get a good deal...they don't realize that in live auctions, the auctioneer is doing his LEVEL BEST to run the bidding up over retail. He works for the seller not the bidder, and his job is to get as much money for the stuff as is possible. There is the competition aspect of it too. Most folks have hunted for the items they are bidding on, and, a LOT of folks seem to feel that once they have bid on, or have decided to bid on an item, it is "theirs" and it will be a cold day in Hell before anyone takes it away from them! So...having committed to the item, they will often bid too much to get it. Another seductive thing about Ebay is that thought that "if I only bid a buck or two more, I can get it". That is likely the reason that folks end up with stuff they bought for more than retail. After all, unless one is getting something for pennies on the dollar, it does not take that many cycles for that 50% savings to become a 10% savings (not including shipping)...and at that point, one really has to ask if it is worth it. Good for sellers, bad for buyers. I do wonder about folks, though, when it comes to cross-checking prices. I have seen a number of items on Ebay go for near retail, when a quick Google search found much cheaper alternatives for the same item. As an example, I have a client whose CD-R/RW drive went toes up the other day. We went onto Ebay first off, to see what we could find. There were some fairly non-scary prices there, actually ( well under $150 or so for DVD/CD writers), so I ended up bidding on one - a NEC, if I recall. I did a quick search and the first couple of links I found for the driver quoted a street price of $150. I put in $110, and another bidder ended up taking it for $113. Well, I did a bit more extensive search on the Net and ended up getting the drive for $86 or so out of a place in CA. For the first year or so that Ebay was in existance, it was a buyer's market. I got some spectacular deals on there. Now, though, it is far more a seller's market, and while possible to get good deals, one has to be more cautious, spend more time researching, and (hardest of all) be willing to walk away from the deal when it goes "too high". Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

With froes it probably is a colectability issue, like broad axes.

But with some tools it is a quality issue. Genuine (old) Buck brothers chisels will routinely sell for more than new, and with good reason.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:19:22 GMT, Lazarus Long posted:

Gidday, LL. I am interested in froes. I am considering attaching by a large bolt a large knife (made from a large mower blade) to one of the heavy steel stanchions in my shed and then the other end with a long heavy pipe attached. I will put my logs under this knife then sit my fat ass on the end of the pipe. I've seen flash jobbies made by farming/engineering types using hydraulics. I figure splitting logs and then flattening one side with my jointah and then thicknessing will give me some mighty purty wood from logs collected from tree loppers and the like.

Moosh:)

Reply to
Moosh:)