Re: How to make a fare curve

Saw a picture of a quilt rack with curved sides that are not arcs of a circle. HOw can I create a fair curve about 36" long that isn't merely an arc of a circle. I'll post the picture on ABPW in a minute - subject line: Quilt rack. dave

Use a thin strip of plexigass that is at least 1 1/2 times as long as the curve. The grain in wood has strong and weak points and won't always allow for a fare line to be drawn. The plexiglass is held in place with weights. I have a set of "Yachtsman's ducks". These are small rubber coated lead weights with a brass hook on the front. They have a small handle on back which makes them look like little 3" long yellow whales. The weights are used to hook into the plex and then bend it to the desired curve. I suppose you could use about 7 or so 4 oz. or larger fishing weights and lay them directly onto of the plex strip. -Rick Buchanan

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

long ago when i was on the board ,the plex strip was called a spline and the weights were called ducks. used to "fair" points together smoothly, actuallt second degree curves...mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Do yourself a favor. Find out which *type* of curve you're drawing first -- after delivering your project is usually too late. Ellipses, parabolas, catenaries, cardoids, etc., can be mechanically generated by appropriate means.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Buy a small french curve (or set). I got a modest plastic set from LV for a couple bucks ( $5??)

Fiddle on graph paper until you like the result , and then use the graph paper to scale to your project size.

-S

Reply to
Stephen M