OT Built without planning permission

He should have befriended the local Mayor before it got that far obviously. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If he spent £48m building it, and rents it out for £14k a day, I doubt a £500/day fine is going to worry him ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

presumably that's just stage 1 of the punishment

stage 2 will be: got to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 pounds

stage 3 will be: we demolish it for you and give you the bill

tim

Reply to
tim...

Certainly councils in the US have that power (stage 3 I mean).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Without such a power, at least via a court, planning would be a completely futile exercise.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It can be in some circs in this country. In our old village, builder got PP for 5 bed house, built it with 7 beds - two in attic overlooking neighbour. Sold it, and thereby escaped all legal action and responsibility - which all devolved on new owner.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They can in the UK too.

Reply to
dennis

only from the council

not from the new owner

(admittedly the new owner can only claim financial compensation, he can't send the builder to jail)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Although if you have millions to spend on legal teams, then you can probably keep it tied up in appeals for years to come.

Reply to
John Rumm

The new owner bought it knowing there were planning issues, and got a discount as a result. He then had to deal with the council about them, but ended up with a 7-bed house.

(I think he had to change/remove some dormer windows or make them obscure or something. Not a lot, anyway).

Reply to
Tim Streater