Credit Control?

The Medway Handyman

>> --

£22K for that?

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

>> --

£15K for a porch? no wonder she didn't pay! Nice porch though...

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

a good businessman for several reasons:

- Didn't secure the customer's ability to pay before starting the work. Council tenant.

- Continued the work despite missed payment deadlines

- Destroyed the work done

Not very bright, either of them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

As I read it, 22K for a conservatory AND "that". No idea what the conservatory is (or should that be "was"?) like.

Reply to
Rod

That was just the porch in the pictures - conservatory was presumably at the rear.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

16&in_page_id=1770>>Not>>>a good businessman for several reasons:

Plus the criminal damage of the demolition, not very bright at all.

Reply to
fred

It started off saying she owed £15K - the £22K was the cost to the builder - presumably including the time wasted chasing the bad debt, and also that to fund the dismantling of the conservatory and the demolition of the porch.

Reply to
John Rumm

it just me or should the roof have been secured to the house wall in some way? In the latter pictures it appears to not have been. Also would an old bedsheet really protect the neighbour's car from flying debri?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

No, 15K for that and a conservatory.

Reply to
Bob Eager

>> Is it just me or should the roof have been secured to the house wall

No John,

The roof rafters (or trusses) would have been secured to wallplates resting on and fixed to the the side walls of the porch - exactly the same method that is used to 'secure' the roof on your house.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

> Not a good businessman for several reasons:

Too true matey. Why didn't he ask for a deposit or staged payment? If I accept a decking job I always ask for & clear a 50% deposit before I order the timber. The timber typically acounts for 35% of the price so I'm in front before I start.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>16&in_page_id=1770>>>>Not>>>

The demolition was carried out with the permission of the property owners - the local Council - and with the Police in attendance.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"Nigel Gray sent in his workmen to demolish the porch with sledgehammers= and dismantle and remove the conservatory."

15k for weeks work and just the porch to show, agreed. But 15k proch and= conservatory isn't too bad, but only a week? Maybe that is why the proc= h roof doesn't appear to be attached to the building...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

>>> Not a good businessman for several reasons:

I'm sorry Dave, but if you asked me for a 50% deposit for materials then my response would be "on yer bike" - the maximum deposit I would give would be

10% (if I'm in a good mood) and I would be keeping 10% back at the end of the job as a 'retention in case of defects' for an agreed period (for a small job may that would be three months max and for a larger job, six months).

Also, if it was a large job lasting several months, you would be paid on a monthly, incremental basis on the agreed work done - not as a 'lump' sum before the start of the job or during it to pay for 'materials'.

If you as a 'builder' didn't like that, then there are plenty more out there...

Please don't take this as an insult, but I consider those that pay builders (and other trades) up-front for *any* works - total idiots and are asking to be 'scammed'.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

In article , nightjar writes

612>>>16&in_page_id=1770>>>>>>Not>>>>

Nothing like that in the referenced Mail article or those I have found on searching.

Just:

"A council spokeswoman said: "Council tenants are allowed to make improvements to their home.""

"Unfortunately in this case, this private agreement has gone wrong. Mrs Dovey will be billed the cost of putting the property back to its original state."

If the tenants are allowed to make improvements and "a private agreement has gone wrong" then it would seem inappropriate for the council to give permission to demolish, this should be a civil matter between the tenant and the builder.

ISTM a pretty clear example of criminal damage.

Ah, got this from the Telegraph:

?In fairness to the council, they gave me their full backing to tear down the work - and even told me to leave the rubble on her doorstep.?

Again, if the tenant is allowed to make improvements then I don't see how the council have authority to give permission to demolish if it is on the grounds of the debt alone. I'd love to hear the full story.

Reply to
fred

>612>>>>16&in_page_id=1770>>>>>>>>Not>>>>>

It is within the area covered by my local radio station and they were interviewing him this morning.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The message from Rod contains these words:

It's on the video...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Ah, right. Having read enough I didn't bother with that.

Reply to
Rod

Never had a problem matey. I ask for it and get it - 100% success rate. I don't specify that its for materials, I just ask for a 50% deposit.

I wouldn't accept the job on any other terms, I don't need 'bad business', there are plenty more customers out there....

Taken as intended. Customers are offered the contact numbers for any of the clients featured on my web site + I am accredited by my local Trading Standards. People trust me and are quite right to do so. I would never scam anyone.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman