When DIY goes bad

Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.

Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.

The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million dollars.

It's a nice looking lamp, though.

HeyBub

DIY didn't "go bad", it went "stupid". The actual DIY project sounds like it was entirely successful.

Reply to
Pete C.

Still a bigger screwup than I think I've made so far-- but down near the end of the article, after leading with "Hole drilled in vase costs owner £250K" and giving the current value as £20,000. . .

the article says; "it would have been worth £250,000 without the hole and if it had been accompanied by its matching pair. "

My math & general knowledge of antiques says a single vase was probably 'only' worth £110,000 or so- less the £20,000 that she got it appraised for and we're left with £90,000. Google converts that to $178,551 USD today. Not exactly chump-change, but not 1/2 million, either.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yeah. The math troubled me too. I wonder if she has the other vase?

Reply to
ythread

First, the article states it would only be worth £250,000 if it had been accompanied by it's matching pair. We can't just assume a single vase would be worth half as much.

In any case, I always have to laugh when I hear things like "this will be worth something someday". That priceless object you hang onto isn't worth a penny until you sell it. Until then, it's just a piece of junk taking up space. "Potential" value won't pay the bills.

What's the old saying, "one man's junk is another man's treasure"? If the vase worked better as a lamp for the woman, I say she found her treasure. Otherwise it was just an ugly vase passed down through the family.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

The other half of the pair is probably being used as a catch for when changing oil in the car

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That really totally hurts. Ouch!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shrug. And if everyone had saved their copy of 'Action Comics Superman #1', they'd be worth about 10 bucks, probably. You glossed over where it said a matched set would be worth 250k pounds.

The value of collectibles is only meaningful if you have a rich buyer that wants it, as many people with dollar signs in their eyes have learned the hard way. Remember beanie babies?

As to the vase- well, if you're into that stuff, I guess it is pretty, but I'd never pay Art Collector prices for something like that, even if I was rich. Whoever buys it will probably just keep that side turned to the wall, or something, and nobody will ever notice.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The amount of money isn't the important thing (other than it was a lot). It's the notion of taking something lovely (to somebody) and ruining it for the connoisseur while turning it in to some horrid, utilitarian bit of crap.

My ex-wife PAINTED a walnut bookcase with some hideous, oil-based, exterior concoction. I wasn't about to wait until she turned my lucky bowling ball into a pair of bookends to match.

Reply to
HeyBub

HeyBub wrote: ...

But it may have been nothing more than a chamber pot originally, anyway, and it's only the pretentious that have turned it into something other than a bit of utilitarian earthenware...

--

Reply to
dpb

aemeijers wrote in news:sA7ek.114650$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Oh heck. I'm not a sports fan but 5 cent packs of baseball cards were a big thing when I was a tyke. It was cool to clip them to the bike forks with a wooden clothespin so they hit the spokes and made a cool flapping noise.

Mickey Mantle, Roger Marris & Willy Mays powered my old Raleigh bike. Vaaaaarooooom!

Reply to
Red Green

On Sat 12 Jul 2008 09:30:39p, Red Green told us...

Sounds like you're from my era!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Yah, but now it is a leaky chamber pot...

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan