LED bulbs

I've about had it with CFL bulbs... well, really their failure mode,
Had fallen asleep with the wall light on as usual, woken up by the smoke alarm going off, room in darkness and that oh so lovely aroma of burning electronics accompanying the smoke coming from the bulb base, wall lamp has the bulbs mounted base down, so maybe that added to this failure mode.
But i think it's time to go over to LED's, as people are saying they are now reaching the lumen per watt threshold that makes them worthwhile.
Standard bayonet cap fittings throughout the house, most of them base up, but a couple of wall lights that have the bulbs base down, and 2 fittings that have the bulb mounted sideways for the low profile enclosure (may well be ES bases, must check)
So firstly, are LED bulbs sold in separate versions for base up/down/sideways orientation? or does it not matter too much as long as they have a decent heatsink in the base.
I am used to the slightly colder white of CFL's now, compared to tungsten bulbs... so much so that the 60 watt tungsten bulb (all i could find... no spare CFL's left) i put in the bedroom wall lamp makes the room look weird to my eyes due to the yellowness of the light,
So would i be looking for warm white led's, or something else to mimic the CFL's i'll be replacing, almost every light here originally had a 60 watt tungsten bulb in it, so i was running 20 watt CFL's to get a similar light output.
Any recommendations for half decent led bulbs that fit what i am looking for? i want to avoid the cheap shite chinese knock offs with fake CE stamps on them... the ones that imitate fireworks when they fail, but i also can't afford to be paying £15 per bulb when i want to change all the bulbs in the house.
On 22/01/2015 12:36, Gazz wrote:

Search Amazon for:
MiniSun High Power 11w LED BC B22 SMD GLS Energy Saving Long Life Bulb - 1000 Lumens
£7.99 at time of posting. Buy one and see if you like it.
Pendant LED bulbs tend to shine downwards. Unlike tungsten or CFLs they don't send much light towards the ceiling.
--
Michael Chare

On Thursday, 22 January 2015 12:59:35 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:

I have private code that compares lamps, allowing for brightness, cost, pow er, and life. The current best of those for lumen-hours per pound that I h ave personally seen (not necessarily seen working), is Tesco LED, £8, 10 A, 806 lm, unspecified life, IIRC 100,000 cycles. I might buy one. I have done no measurements.
--
SL

On Thursday, 22 January 2015 13:43:59 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

t I

10 A,

done

For "10 A" read "10 W" above. I bought one - it looks bright. No measurem ents.
--
SL

On 22/01/2015 12:59 pm, Michael Chare wrote:

The new ones do.
http://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/dimmable-b22-6w-omni-led-clear-globe.html
--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England
On 22/01/15 12:59, Michael Chare wrote:

Have you seen the failure rates?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
About half the reviews are showing them dying in short order.
This is why I usually ignore "no name" LEDs - except maybe LEDHut who put their own guarantee on them.

Not sure LEDs are going to be any better in this respect. Had a 240v one which went bang in a spectacular fashion.
--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Was going to say the same, they usually still have a SM supply in them. There are some Youtube videos showing comparisons and teardowns of LED lamps. Which are interesting.

The tie is singular and the shoes are plural, stupid.
On 22/01/15 12:36, Gazz wrote:

No

They prefer base down as long as the enclosure allows air to move through. Base up is OK IME in a fairly open fitting - might be less good in an enclosed one.

Philips LEDs are top class - good life, warm light and they vary from "true" GLS and pretty bright to GLS+++ (extra long) and mentally bright.
However they are not cheap. But IME they seem to last.
Crompton (compton?) - blew one of theirs (out of 1) in < year. I write the dates on the side when I install them. Don't touch.
The "TCP" brand that Homebase sells seem quite good (testing one now in candle/SES format). Cannot say how good the life is as I've had it for 3-4 months. But good price.
Megaman aren't bad for the money.
I would avoid any other names unless someone explicitly vouches for them here - there is a LOT of crap being sold.

On 22/01/2015 14:32, Tim Watts wrote:

If you mean the daylight bulbs. I did my house in them 4ish years ago. Some have gone but not many.
I like daylight bulbs because I can actually distinguish colours properly which I couldn't with standard yellower CLFs.
On 22/01/2015 12:59, Michael Chare wrote:

Base down is generally better for them. Base up heat rises and cooks the electronics - especially in closed glass globe type shades.

The main thing is that they do need a bit of airflow around them so like CFLs they don't like being fully enclosed.

Good price - probably a bit on the bright side if the OP has become accustomed to the notional CFL incandescent "equivalent" wattage. I got caught out by my first LED bulb being too bright for its location being a nominal 60W equivalent that really was a true 60W incandescent output!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Is one such although £1 more expensive (and £1 more is dimmable although I have no experience of them on dimmers). The models available seem to change almost every time you look for them.

They are distinctly more directional with can make the walls appear darker in some sort of light shade.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
"Gazz" < snipped-for-privacy@m.ta> wrote in message news:m9qqrr$eer$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

I haven't had any failures of CFLs in decades now.

But are still in the phase where even the brand name stuff like Crees don't necessarily last all that long, with months instead of years being quite common.

Hard to do that last well tho.

On 22/01/2015 12:36, Gazz wrote:

CPC have these on offer ATM
http://cpc.farnell.com/samsung/si-i8w121181eu/lamp-led-gls-dim-e27-11-3w-2700k/dp/LP0824964?Ntt=LP0824964&CMP=NLem1

I've not seen an LED where base up versus base down would make any difference.
The cooling fins are not normally oriented for horizontal operation, but even that probably makes little significant difference.

I have a few TCPs which have been running a while. If you have a Homebase nearby which is closing down, they're all 30% off.
IKEA have a large ES globe one which is also quite good.
--
Andrew

Buy from a supplier with a five-year warranty, then you can send them back if they don't last.
On 23/01/15 10:22, Peter Johnson wrote:

Can you name any?
Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.ledhut.co.uk
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
On 23/01/15 11:08, Mike Barnes wrote:

Thank you - I did not consider the *supplier* might have such a long warranty...