LED Bulbs 2 for $5 at Home Depot

Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at Home Depot:

Keith

Damn, that's a great price. I'll grab a few.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

  • a few Life seems to be about the same as the "On sale" ge bulbs at 13k or so hours. Wonder if the Cree will go on sale now?
Reply to
Mr.E

What's the advantage? Maybe a high place where you don't want to be changing bulbs every month?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The local Shoprite supermarkets here in NJ have been selling Philips 65W LED 6" recessed ceiling conversion kits for $10 for a couple months now. That's the whole replacement trim piece, together with an adapter that screws into the socket of the old fixture. They look great, nice warm light too. At first, I thought they would only be on sale for a week or two. But it's been a couple months now and they just dropped them to $9.

Two years ago, similar were $50 at HD. I think they are still selling for more like $25 or $30 there.

Reply to
trader_4

And the savings in electricity. Look at the wattage versus lumens.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1

Energy consumption difference is huge, like ~90+% less

Reply to
trader_4

Found this nice comparison chart:

Use half the energy of cfl's. I had thought they were equivalent.

I'd like to see some 75 watt lumen equivalent bulbs.

When I replaced 60 watt incandescent I went to 75 cfl's. Nice to have extra light for older eyes.

Think Walmart has ~$5 apiece GE led's. Would be nice to see how they compare with Phillips. Bad side effects, I've seen with cfl's are color and humming.

Reply to
Frank

When LEDs first came out they had the same efficiency as incandescents, 19 luments per watt, compared to the 60 of a fluorescent.

That chart claims 100 lumens per watt, which seems optimistic to me. But they have greatly improved over the first versions.

I would guess LEDs are now equivalent to tube fluorescents, and superior to CFLs.

I have yet to have an LED bulb burn out. Flashlight versions sure, they degrade easily especially if you run them on high power.

But I also don't believe 50,000 hours of life. Probably the LED itself can do that, but there's a heck of a lot of electronics feeding it.

Has anybody measured power factor on an LED yet?

Reply to
TimR

Power factor is beyond me:

I worry about electronics too. Found that cfl's don't last much longer than incandescents in my bathrooms. Switching them on and off for brief periods is apparently hard on the electronics and they go first. I look at circuit diagrams for cfl's and led's and they look as complex as my first computer. A failure in them, it does not matter how long led itself lasts.

I had the simplest of the led flashlights which came with a headlamp I bought. LED bulb with battery encased in plastic where squeezing the plastic sides caused filament contact and light came on and went off when pressure released. Contacts failed and light was kaput.

Reply to
Frank