OT. Is Canada Burning Down?

Poor management plus dry weather is creating quite a mess.

ABC News is claiming Washington, DC is getting the worst of the smoke today. The weather people here in Nebraska were saying Lincoln had its second driest recorded rainfall in May. The driest was back in the Dirty 30s. News people are blaming climate change. I can't help but wonder if things are much different today from, say, a thousand years ago in Canada.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Something bad happens with the weather, it is due to climate change and with people it is due to white supremacy.

I did read that 85% in Canada are due to lightening strikes but half those in Quebec are due to arson. Must be the white supremacists there.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It's better here in NJ today. Yesterday morning was a little smokey and you could smell it. By afternoon it was like an eclipse, orange sky, sun just an orange spot, smoke easily visible across the street. There was a big forest fire here to the west, I thought the smoke here must be mostly from that, but apparently not, because it's all over.

Reply to
trader_4

What is the difference between burning down and burning up?

Reply to
micky

I'm south of you today, looking at the ocean in Ocean City. Nothing visible here yet but an air quality warning. We'll be mostly inside anyway.

Reply to
Ed P

Or slow down and slow up?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The same as the difference between flammable and inflammable, habitable and inhabitable, radiation and irradiation, press and depress, etc.

I'm just north of Washington DC and the entire DC metro area has been at code purple all day. I had to go out briefly earlier and despite a N-95 mask, the odor was horrible. My eyes started watering and burning. I'm glad that I don't have any respiratory conditions or allergies. Tomorrow's forecast is for much better quality air, only code orange (if we're lucky).

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I'd sure hate to be one of those who have to work outside like construction workers, road workers, etc. I guess flights and sporting events have been cancelled. There must be some bad jokes floating around about the wildfire smoke vs. the smoke from our national leaders.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm in Baltimore, at the south edge of Randallstown, and between DC and NYC and we're supposed to have the same problem. I went out this morning just to see. I wore a new KN-95 mask but took it off for a better impression. I smelled a faint smell, it didn't burn my nose or eyes, cause my eyes to water. I have one window open 2 inches so maybe I'm used to the smell, but I didn't notice it yesterday or the day before either..

Maybe it was hazier but I could see the blue sky, with the edges of clouds visible.

I do have some respiratory condition, that I'm out of breath much too quickly, much more quickly than a year ago, but otoh, I pass all the tests the doctor has given me. I was also out on Tuesday, all over. north Baltimore with the top down, and didn't notice anything. Who knows?

Today I went to check out my cherry tree. Harvest season is always the very end of may, and this year was June 1 to 4th. I could have started earlier but I wanted them as ripe as possible, but otoh, this year for the first time, birds were eating the cherries. I think I got about 200 out of 260 of them. (Ants were successfully blocked by Tanglefoot.)

Last year, I got back from my trip around May 29. the first thing I did the next day was go to harvest the cherries and there were none, and no evidence they had been there. I searched the grass for pits and found none.

I'd forgotten to look this year so today I wanted to see what the tree looked like after the fruit was gone. There were loads of stems, and where the birds had eaten the cherries, there were still pits attached to the tree. I didnt' see stems or pits last yaar. So what happened to the cherries last year is still a mystery.

Reply to
micky

Map at the top is animated, showing smoke over all of North America from May 1 to today.

Sometimes it moves too fast but the still that accompanied the email they send subscribers showed that part of it curved southeast from DC and around and then north when it's a couple hundred miles off shore. This corresponds to it being pretty clear in my n'hood today.

But more is north of here.

Also in western Canada and some in Mexico.

Reply to
micky

THe conference was for real and it won't be the first controlled burn that wasn't.

Reply to
rbowman

Up here between the lakes in Waterloo Ontario it's been hazy and smelly the last several days - we need a good rain to wash the air - I have respiratory problems so I am taking it easy

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Maybe Pfizer has an mRNA smoke vaccine? Maybe you should put on your KN-95 and go get a booster? They're free, I think.

Reply to
Ben Verified - ✅