OT: Talking of tyres ...

First tyre thread for 2021. ;-)

We are considering changing the 'Happy shopper' 100% Teflon tyres that came with the 407 daughter got recently but trying to find a balance between potential risk reduction and cost.

It's not particularly the risk of the damage to her vehicle but all the 'other' costs that come in if you have an accident, especially so if it might be 'avoidable' with 'better' tyres?

Anyone recommend a good vfm brand / model to suit something like a

2007 Peugeot 407 saloon 1.6 diesel (205/60/16 92V) that (specifically) offer good grip in the cold / wet please? The car was cheap enough so there is a bit of slack in the budget to get some 'decent' tyres. Had it been the summer it wouldn't be quite such an issue.

I've checked quite a few of the online tyre reviews but some of them seem to contradict themselves. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. When I bought the old Rover 218SD cheap it also came with the cheapest 'budget' tyres my mate could afford they were horrible in the wet. The first thing I did was fitted some decent / branded types that were shown to have good wet weather grip. When I picked said mate up (in his old car) a few weeks later and took an empty / wet roundabout in a 'spirited' fashion he nearly crapped himself, as he remembered it only going in straight lines in the wet. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Look at Honest Johns articles in the DT or on his old website (now sold, but still has his name).

He would probably recommend these, if you can afford them -

Andrew

What you will find that you read all the reviews and you end up deciding that you definitely want a set of XYZ brand tyres - and then find the cost far exceeds the value of the car.

What does the manufacturer recommend and what was fitted when new - use that as a starting guide. This info is usually in the handbook.

Reply to
alan_m

Yeah. Scrimping on tyres is foolish.

Reply to
Richard

I bought a set of those for my Golf R.

Reply to
jon

Or Dunlop :)

Reply to
alan_m
<snip>

Yeah, she's got a set of those on her Transit Connect but I don't think she drove that the sort of speed or distances she is likely to drive the car to know how well they performed (when pushed). She got them on the van because they had better 'mud' performance than std summer tyres (tree surgeon / gardening etc).

They seem to come up in the top of most tests, but not at the top for wet weather etc.

I'll get some prices from my local man.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

And do you have a feeling re how they compared with whatever you had before / after (in the wet)?

For example, with the cr*p tyres that came (nearly new) on the front of the Rover 218SD, even pulling away in the wet (with any sense of enthusiasm, like when trying to get into traffic from a side road) was likely to result in some wheelspin.

Breaking even from slow speed on a twisty C road to make room for oncoming vehicles could often have the front wheels locking up.

They really were bad and lethal when towing the folding caravan!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There are standard ratings for wet grip, noise and fuel efficiency. Pick whichever tyres do well on the things you care about.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I think that's going to be the case Alan, even with a new set of budget tyres but isn't really the point in this case.

Still waiting for my mate to find it but the problem with that is time and technology marches on and IO often wonder about any 'tie-in' between car and tyre manufacturers there.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's a long time since i've bought a branded tyre, and I have had cheap tyres in the past that felt as if they were made of plastic when you go for the brakes.

The guy at our local tyre place reckons all tyres are 'good enough' with rules and regs the way they are these days But I tend to go for the one above the cheapest and currently on a set of Landsail (not sure exactly which ones) but I reckon you could crack a rib braking urgently in most normal conditions.

My son argues the point for branded tyres. But then he keeps writing cars off.

Reply to
R D S

I put Michelin Cross Climates on my Jazz a couple of years ago after finding it could not cope with a particular awkward junction in fresh snow. The difference was staggering; not quite as much as going to snow socks, but even so it really did give the car the ability to go where otherwise only 4x4s could manage.

I don't particularly notice the improvement in wet grip, but tests seem to show a big improvement (with not much loss in dry braking). Almost certainly significantly better against aquaplaning from the tread pattern.

Reply to
newshound

Big snag with many of the traditional names for tyres is they are now budget types living off the name. Avon too.

Michelin are still who they say they are. If you intend keeping the car can be decent value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My brother does a pretty high mileage but has a mental block about buying 'good' tyres. And then complains about the budget ones. I persuaded him to get Michelin this time. He is very pleased with the performance. Only time will tell if they are actually as good value overall by lasting longer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes, I found those a while ago, it was surprising how little correlation there was between those (official, presumably unbiased) ratings and the price of tyres.

Reply to
Chris Green

My feelings entirely.

Reply to
Chris Green

Richard

T i m was saying a while ago that his tyres would have to be vegan, but I don't know if they would be marked as such, and also note that he didn't have this as a primary requirement in his OP. It is Veganuary, though, and that might be important to him.

Reply to
Spike

All tyres are classified for grip and performance in the wet and economy. It should be simple for you to check with any online supplier.

I tend to get cheap tyres that perform well in all categories. There is also a thought that a cheap new try is always going to be better than a worn branded one, however good it is. So, it you want overall performance change the tyres well before they're close to the wear limit.

Reply to
Fredxx

Another vote here for Cross Climates. My son has had a chance to try different ones as he is doing 40,000 miles a year, and recommended these.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris