OT? Trailer tyres ..

Hi All,

I'm about to sell my 14' sailing dinghy to my sister and have just checked it all out etc.

It has been standing in my dark / cool lockup (on chocks) for the last

8 years and although the tyre pressures were quite low they pumped back up fine and look perfect (no cracking / crazing / discoloration etc etc.

Now I guess I know the answer to the 'should I fit new tyres' question, but these are very high quality Michelins (fitted because a new cheaper brand tyre was failed) and have only done about 300 miles (Lake district to London) ;-(

So, is this 'max 7 years' thing a function to how a tyre has been stored (hot / cold, wet / dry) and if it has been exposed to the sun etc?

Sister is only 30 miles away (and I'd go back roads and do have a spare wheel) and the sailing club only 3 miles from her (where the road trailer will probably just disappear in the long grass).

And it's not a 30' 3 tonne caravan (only 200kg gross) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The tyre makers, trade association, or whoever came up with the "7 year" idea are covering their backsides against the person who parks a trailer in bright sun, lets the tyres go completely flat, and then loads it to the rated load and runs it at the rated speed. It sounds as though you'll be using them at a fraction of their rated load, (unless they're those 8" glorified wheelbarrow tyres) and they will barely get warm on the journey in question. Most people running classic and vintage cars will happily use tyres 30 or 40 years old, and give them a good run at close to their maximum load. I'd inflate them a bit over pressure, check the tread and sidewalls carefully for any bumps or distortion, and if they're OK drop them back to pressure and tow away.

If you act on this advice, I will indemnify you against all loss, damage, or claims up to the amount you paid for this advice.

Reply to
Autolycus

I'd also under inflate and squish them to see if any cracks open up in the side walls. One of my trailer tyres loks fine inflated but when it's a bit soft the crack open up...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Understood.

4.00 x 8 Michelin High Speed trailer tyres .. ;-)

Oh, ok, and I assume they are sitting in the things (rather than just trailing behind).

Ok, will do, thanks.

It's a deal.;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok, another good test thanks.

A thought though, just what percentage of the strength of a tyre (especially the sidewall) is down to the rubber rather than the 'ply's'?

I mean the rubber 'inside' the fabric would tend to keep the air in (these tyres are tubed in this case though) and the stuff on the outside helps give the sidewall it's 'stiffness' and protect the ply from abrasion etc?

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is is it possible that a crack (or cracks) in the sidewall *might* not actually increase the risk of the tyre deflating or delaminating etc?

I have a very old trailer (in itself very tidy) with equally old tyres with lots of very fine cracks in the sidewall but it only gets used for a very rare slow trip to the local dump etc (and wouldn't be 'noticed' unless inspected very closely). I probably first spotted the issue 10 years ago but they seem to have survived?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I would very probably fit new tyres 'anyway' if they were on our cars or motorbikes and especially if they were going to be used regularly or at any speed / distance.

Reply to
T i m

AIUI, problems may arise when water reaches the reinforcement and rots / rusts / is absorbed by it. This could result in it separating from the rubber, and is one of the reasons you shouldn't repair a puncture just by fitting an inner tube.

They do.

Many moons ago, my father complained to Pirelli about their new-fangled Cinturatos cracking on his MG 1100. They told him it was because he didn't drive fast enough to get them hot regularly, but then, without admitting anything, gave him a nearly new set foc.

Reply to
Autolycus

Ah, good points ta. I *nearly* repaired the leaky rim on the kitcar by fitting a tube but I'd rather fix the problem properly by stripping the flaking paint off the rim. I just didn't get roundtuit, now I have a damaged sidewall. ;-(

Hmmm, result indirectly then. ;-)

The rear Colways were showing signs of cracking where the tread joins the sidewall and they changed them free .. including the fitting / balancing .. and they were 7 years old! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m