Update on "ramp for me ma"

Greetings again,

I have built a ramp for me ma (not an ambulance, my Mother).

I used 1 metre square decking tiles and a couple of shorter ones, all bolted together and supported on concrete tiles.

The joints on the tiles allow the end ones to bend to horizontal.

There is a step of 2-3" at the end of the ramp which I will attend to during the week. I came across a ramp in the Argos Catalogue and will see if that works.

My Ma is quite chuffed with it.

Francis

Reply to
fjk

snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Great stuff!

Give our best regards to your ma !

Terry W

Reply to
Terry W.

Hi Terry,

Will do. The OT had to go back to Australia, her father was killed.

So, I've seen 3 different OTs who all have different suggestions.

My Ma has umpteen ailments and psychiatric conditions, so my plan is to put in as many supports -people- so that she can stay at home as long as possible.

Finding out what's going on with her is difficult. Just before Christmas we discovered she had a septic finger for about a month which she had been hiding from us. She was very lucky they were able to treat it.

Francis.

Reply to
notfjk

Francis,

Excuse me if you have considered this; but it's worth mentioneing anyway.

A very important, and often overlooked safety aspect of a wheelchair ramp, is raised edges. Only a couple of inches or so are necessary, in order that the chair cannot accidentally be pushed, or manoeuvred over the side. This accident can happen very much more easily than one might think.

Best wishes,

Keith

Reply to
Keith (Dorset)

thanks keith,

Will incorporate edges.

Francis

Reply to
notfjk

Sorry Francis I've mislead you. According to paramedic daughter it's a "Nee Naw" not a Me Ma. More commonly refered to as a 'truck'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or in Wales, an ambiwlans ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I know. Sweet isn't it?

I know that the Welsh word for English is ' saesneg' which sounds quite like the Scottish 'sassanach' (normally in a derisory sense). Is it used in the same way in Welsh? I never had the sense that it was, apart from Plaid members that is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I am convinced that it is possible to speak pidgin Gaelic simply by putting 'och', 'ichoch' or 'ochichoch' at the end of every word.

I think it can be. 'Saeson' usually refers to the morally degenerate incomers with the filthy habits like indoor lavatories and (for the women) dressing in other than a floral pinafore and wellies.

Owain

Reply to
Owain