electric cars and frosty roads

I skidded on a small patch of black ice yesterday morning in the electric car so I immediately got off the accelerator pedal, as I would normally do, to allow me recover control. Trouble was as soon as I came off the accelerator the bloody car went into auto re-energise mode, (i.e.) equivalent of braking ( not the same as slowing down via the gears) which threw me off in a different direction. Luckily I was only doing about 30mph so all came out ok but it was a brown trouser moment. Something to be aware of. It is possible to engage neutral but that requires dis-engaging the drive mode and my reactions would not be quick enough for that to be effective

Reply to
fred

Obviously a bad choice for you then. Go back to a smelly old diesel.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I thought e-cars had user selectable degrees of regenerative braking from "brakeless" driving to something closer to regular engine braking?

Sounds like you need some proper winter tyres Michelin Cross Climate for example and dialing back the regenerative braking.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Why not a new diesel that generates less particulates than a EV car?

Reply to
Fredxx

Because EV cars only pay 5% vat on leccy. Limited range is not a problem for some people. Horses for courses.

Reply to
Andrew

Sounds like an auto which changes down to give engine braking as soon as you come off the throttle. I'd call that a fault.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Indeed they are but I've found them to perform equally as well as when I used Vredstein(sp) in our UK winters. I meant any tyre with the "3 peak mountain snowflake" rating which is considered the benchmark for winter/snow etc use etc.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

All 4 broken away on ice with wheels locked up you're just a passenger until something gets a grip again.

My encounters with black ice have had the the back end going. Have had the front lock up whilst braking on snow, it's quite a concious effort to release the brake when your sliding towards a tree to the left with full right lock on. Release the brake, wheels grip, instant change in direction across the road...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1.

The ABS system should have spotted that and put power back on.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, and you can re-fuel your horse on any grass verge.

Reply to
Max Demian

Pity dobbin has no real low-power mode. Sleep, yes, but no standby mode worth the name, as power consumption doesn't decrease very much.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I suspect it's a design feature, where speed can be controlled by the accelerator and provide some intentional braking akin to petrol engine braking.

Reply to
Fredxx

The way it was described to me was like the regenerative braking on a train.

Reply to
Scott

I was told that very few trains can (re)generate whilst braking. Track-side systems can't always cope with both generation and rectification.

I would have thought virtually all forms of braking could be regenerative for an EV, perhaps with the exception of an emergency stop or under failure conditions

Reply to
Fredxx

I thought it was common. Much amused though when I went to look to find

published 11 June 1932...

But this is more relevant

AKA

"Modern electric trains are commonly equipped with two types of braking system; conventional mechanical disc brakes and electric regenerative braking. The use of regenerative braking reduces the net energy consumed, and represents a cost saving for the train operators which use it."

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Turn your regen down or off before driving in seriously slippery conditions.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Our road is rather steep and never gets salted/ploughed 4WD is the only thing that can get out as if you go down you still have to go up to get out the other end and we have what must be the steepest hill in the area that I always drive up when it snows just because it's there. :)

I've got BFG T/A KO2 on now which are also 3PMSF marked so yet to see what they're like in the slippy stuff but I'm sure they'll cope just fine.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Using words 'common' and "Inversion equipment can be costly and may not represent ?value for money?" suggests it might not be the norm.

I recall being told a decade or more ago, that on many lines regenerative braking could only be used if there was another train that could use the energy. I guess when inverters cost a pretty penny.

Reply to
Fredxx

You don't get much engine braking in top gear. Hence my comment about changing down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

as a friend found out on changing down to slow down, you do get engine breaking.

Reply to
charles