electric cars and frosty roads

Pretty much the same was said when the mobile phone companies realised that they could send a short text message using the mobile phone system, and it was only when Bill Clinton made the military GPS system available to the great unwashed that we now have the situation where the world would struggle to function without it. Ditto Japans creation of a new industry by making domestic video recorders. Colour TV's ?. Who needs that apart from Pot Black :-) Smart phones ??. They'll never catch on.

*diesel* engines in *cars*, whatever next ?.
Reply to
Andrew

Apart from high street travel agents who made much use of it. Also high street FX counters.

Reply to
Andrew

There are essentially 2 US GPS systems, one available to the US military and the other civil.

The civil one used to be low resolution and the position contained a random element. This gave rise to Differential GPS:

randomisation was turned off for Differential GPS to become uneconomic. One purpose was to make spoofing more effective that D-GPS would otherwise be able to correct.

There are US two systems on different frequencies, the US military are able to use both.

I thought a Philips collaboration was the first V2000 format?

You've got me there, though must of the market penetration is down to cost reductions.

Reply to
Fredxx

That, as I have previously described, is what happens in non-regen 'cruise' mode. Press the accelerator to go, take your foot off to free-wheel, use the brake pedal to slow down using regen, plus friction if regen is insufficient.

No, it isnt

Press the accelerator to go, take your foot off to

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What 'isn't'?

I'm the one driving the EV: I know how it works. Take your foot off the accelerator in non-regen mode and it coasts. To stop it you press the brake pedal.

Exactly. 'Coasting' is not 'cruise control' But you probably never had a car with cruise control.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My last three cars have had cruise control and it's been used extensively on all of them.

If you were referring to *cruise control* on the EV rather than your previous references to cruising with foot off, yes it has and it's capable of not only holding a speed but slowing down and speeding up again if conditions require. It's capable of bringing it safely to a slow stop in traffic and then safely restarting without any interference if the driver wants it to do that.

It's also capable of recognising speed limit signs and responding appropriately by reducing or increasing speed. Again, before you make any more uninformed comments, it's a driver enabled option.

Interesting that you imagine you know which cars I've owned and how an EV works despite, it would seem, you never having driven one.

Probably best I leave it there as you appear to want to deny reality on the basis of zero experience.

Well no, often they do not.

That was a bug, this discussion is about a 'feature'

Designers love features. They think people who drive cars will like features too.

Lots of people who drive cars just want a roof that keeps the rain off the kids and shopping and a vehicle that 'just works' more or less

*exactly how they expect it to*, no matter how bad a driver they are. e.g. a Volvo

So don't make it a requirement that they have to.

I know, as an engineer, that they could have made a drive by wire car behave in any way they wanted.

They made it drive utterly unlike a normal IC car. By *default*.

That, in my opinion, is a design fault, if there was no overriding reason why it *should*.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see that you resort to ad hominems when logic and reason show you to be an utter idiot

Unable to tell the difference between 'coasting' and 'cruise control' despite allegedly having cars that feature it.

What I was saying is that to me, given a full drive by wire car, I would have made it right pedal = go faster, left pedal = slow down and no pedal = maintain a constant speed, (NOT 'coast'), that's all.

But blinded by bigotry, you failed to read carefully, twice.

You're a typical 'early adopter', convinced that having bought 'progress' for its own sake, your dick is now supersized.

Wanker

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The first domestic video cassette system was the Philips N series. Reels inside the cassette on top of one another to help provide an angled path past the heads.

The V2000 came much later, and could be turned over like the compact cassette. Due to the narrow width (effectively half that of VHS) it needed a top quality tape for best performance, and many on the market weren't.

I've still got a working v2000 (or did last time I tried) A battery portable version. Used with a separate camera or tuner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is it clever enough NOT to do that when following one of those foreign lorries that has a range of speed limits signs on the back that the driver is supposed to stick to? My car is not clever in that way so sometimes it tells me that the current speed limit is 90 or 110.

Reply to
Tim Streater

An excellent description of yourself and what you have been doing.

Oh dear, the revelation of your lack of knowledge and your presumed ability to know a stranger you're responding to on Usenet leads you to use insults, make false assumptions and use words like 'bigotry' and 'wanker'. A sure sign of your embarrassment in your lack of understanding and in making so many mistakes.

I have pointed out your lack of knowledge in respect of EVs, have spent time explaining aspects of how they work and have remained polite.

I can see now I'm wasting my time and that, like others, I should have stopped humouring you a long time ago.

'TurNiP', another inadequate and angry keyboard warrior (who doesn't know what ad hominem means) for the killfile.

Which managed to produce the 747 which did fine.

And lets not forget the A380 which they arent even making anymore, because Airbus f***ed up so spectacularly.

Reply to
Fred

Loser is as loser does

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I also agree.

I've only ever once had a skid from engine braking (on wet ice). So I dipped the clutch.

It sounds as though the corrective measure for your car would be to apply more power. The ABS system should do it for you.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

  1. It's different, and new, so therefore better, so get used to it!
  2. It's needlessly different, and worse, so why should I have to?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

And I still don't know if they have ABS.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Fred snipped-for-privacy@hotnail.com writes

A f*ck up by marketeers. The engineers built what the marketeers said the market wanted. Just like the VC10.

Reply to
bert