Sodding black ice

Parked the van squarely into the corner of a building this morning.

Probably a write off as walls do not move or bounce.

Right in front of the apprentice.

Reply to
ARW

But it still drove? You could reverse everywhere?

Now, if you'd have positioned him between the van and the corner, he'd have absorbed the impact.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My browser don't support.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Try this one

ARW

Nope, but never mind.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You're missing nothing, it's just a daft Yorkshireman crashing into a wall.

Reply to
R D S

Not just a wall. The corner of a strong building.

A nice dry stoned wall in West Yorkshire would have done less damage to the van.

Reply to
ARW

You got off lucky.

They don't grit our road. At the top of the hill it goes onto a WW2 airfield, which in the way of these things is big and flat. So the ditches by the road are 4ft deep.

There was a transit pickup precisely at right angles to the road, with the back wheels just above the edge of the tarmac. The cab was down in the ditch.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Gives it that look of don't cross my path, My van don't care any more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

At parking speed as well, hardly exciting. B-)

I wouldn't like to bet on that:

Near the aptly named Folly Top on the B6278 a few miles south of Middleton-in-Teesdale and a place where cars frequently leave the road. The bit of drystone wall I demolished has been rebuilt three or four more times since I did it.

Trees, even small ones aren't very car friendly either.

Being a Disco II it was still perfectly driveable, only a bit of superficial bodywork damage, the chassis and suspension was fine. Plod might have taken umbridge at the lack of front nearside headlight and indicator if I had continued my journey probably to Middlesbrough or Hull.

Need less to say I'm acutely aware of the possiblity of black ice now and probably annoy other drivers by taking it very steady on roads that might not have been treated in the last six hours or so.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Looking at the different coloured brickwork someone has hit it a lot harder in the past.

It may not matter to you but took about 30 seconds to find a large electrical contractor on that estate via the name of another firm on the sign by the entrance.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I'll just add - that was a particular branch I used to live near. Current local branch, the blokes generally couldn't be more helpful so that wasn't a criticism of Travis Perkins in general, just that particular branch.

Had the same problem many years ago in that particularly bad winter in Maidstone - had to get a new combi microwave in a hurry as the last one blew up. A21 dual sections reduced to one lane where the trucks had cleared the snow.

Got in the car park at the shopping estate. Could hardly get out. PC World blokes were giving people an extra shove. Less clear cut as the car park was shared, but you think some bugger would be charged with gritting at least the slopey bits...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's a good crash, as you walked away. :)

Reply to
GB

Tas many years ago that I 3was eraly up for an appoinment in London, and taking advantage of te very straight roads that exist somewaht to te shouth of Newmarket, was doin a little over 110 whn I saw a slight bend. And felt that lack of feel in thhe steering that sighnifies loss of grip... black ice or just frost time, the road wasnt doing its bit.

I was by now coasting and excmining thge nbanks to see what the softest place to crash would be wjhen I nitoced that mif corber there wqas a gap in te hedge,m and through that gap was shining the sun, and upon te road itself was that sun shining, amd that bit of road was much *lighter*.

I cosseted the fronmt towrds that patch of road, and once there it was an all or notingh high G heave to get the momemtum tyransfeered to the next dark patch and the follwoing straight.

I made it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try the fens for that. I had occasion to do the 'cross country' fen route up to Wisbech last night. I had forgotton how many ghastly smashed up roads with 8 ft deep drains either side there are,

And then there was fog.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

True. Although my back is a bit sore today.

Reply to
ARW