Complaint about Ice-cream van

An ice-cream van parks outside my house every night after 19:00 playing loud distorted music/chimes. (My neighbour told me that it is a nuisance to her as well as her young kids want an ice-cream when they've gone to bed !)

I phoned local environmental health to complain giving them Registration number and the logo "Joe Bloggs Ices"

They have got back to me and said that they need to have the make of the vehicle and its colour before they can investigate.

Do they really need that info to identify the owner via the DVLA: I would have expected that they had privileged on-line access to the DVLA and they could just put reg in and get the details. Is that not the case? The officer from EH said that they need all info as they have to "send-off" a completed form to the DVLA.

Reply to
Judith

I recently read a suggestion that "ice cream vans" are fronts for dodgy fags'n'booze sellers ... you pay the driver, get a ticket, and collect from somewhere else.

Why else would one be doing the rounds in midwinter when almost everyone has a freezer nowdays ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Freezers are far too cold for ice cream?

Reply to
GB

I have an ice cream van and we are just trying to make a living like everyone else. We have our regular customers all through winter otherwise we wouldn't be wasting our diesel going round. What would you rather we did , sat on our backsides and claim the benefits. Get off our backs and support us , the joy we bring to both children and adults is I measurable. I say you need to get a life ! The job is long hours and hard , so please a little bit of slack and bad mouthing would be appreciated.

Reply to
karenemmett1

This is targeted at two audiences:

  1. Ice cream sellers: why do you need to have your engines running outside your own home? And how long does this need to be for?

  1. Has anyone else had problems living next to an cream van?

Reply to
melaniefclark

Outside on the road?? If so it is illegal to leave the vehicle unattended with the engine running.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Freedom is long gone from the UK

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

I don't think it's ever been legal to permanently park signed vans in residential roads. Speak to the local authority. Running businesses from home which cause a nuisance is also a no no.

I knew someone doing just this with an ice cream van who got a letter from the council telling them to stop.

Careful though. Some people in the ice cream business are heavy.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Reply to
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

On 2 Jun 2018, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote (in article):

Yes, ice cream van turf wars can get rather nasty; so I presume the vendors are not unaccustomed to a bit of aggro towards anyone who affects their business in a detrimental way.

I presume the engine is left running in order to supply power to the chiller/freezer units in the back of the van; and prolong the life of the van battery?

Leaving an engine running on a public street contravenes section 42 of the

1988 Road Traffic Act, although the clause in question does add *un-neccessarily* to the engine running scenario. The ice cream vendor would argue that it is necessary for his business to have the engine on.

The 1988 Act was more concerned with the extra pollution emitted by idling vehicles, and this might be a more likely avenue to explore with the local council.

Reply to
johnny-knowall