What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

Reply to
micky

Sizing the HVAC looks to a bit tricky.

Reply to
Retired

If the wiring method is protected from physical damage, the equipment is listed for wet locations and it is on a GFCI, you can wire the hell out of your snow fort.

Unfortunately that was not the issue here. It sounds like they built in the street. The wires need to run 18' over the road or 2 feet under it.

More reflective of the actual article. If they are not in the road why would a snow plow be hitting it?

Reply to
gfretwell

Plese give us a website that is accessible for those of us who still use Windows XP because we are cheap, don't like newer USoft products, etc.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I am running XP and I had no problem seeing the article.

Reply to
gfretwell

I still use XP myself, and it worked for me.

But you could search on montreal snow fort hazard and you will probably find other links. Don't search for electrical code. I made that up.

Reply to
micky

Come to think, I don't think OS matters, unless one uses IE, where the last version to work is IE8 iirc.

All the other browsers are still compatible with XP, up to the current versions of them.

So if HR is still using IE, this by far won't be the only url to give him/you problem.

Reply to
micky

The radio interview covered more thiings. It was on his lawn, two feet from the street, but the city owns 6 feet from the street. The house I lived in from 1957 to 64 was like that. For 2 miles, some people planted bushes right near the road, and others planned ahead and planted them 10 or 15 feet back. . Now it's 2014, the township has never widened the road, never cut down a bush. It was sort of a main road, but traffic didn't increase much. Meridian Street is pretty wide and other roads go in the same direction and they built an expressway a couple miles west.

They must have worked really hard to do that. The city had sent him two warnings about the snow fort, but now the mayor says hitting it was an accident.

Reply to
micky

He endangered his children by building the snow fort so close to the street. Why doesn't the government do something to protect these innocent children? It's for the kids, dammit! Someone somewhere needs to be sued!

Reply to
Dan Blather

Duhh.. He built the thing on PUBLIC property! If he has any sized piece of yard, he could have just built it there and there would be no problem!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Usually the way it works is the government owns everything within "X" feet from the centerline of the road (It is 33 feet in front of my house). This is where the utilities are usually installed. Most people treat it like their own, plant trees and such but when the plants start endangering the infrastructure the utility or the government can trim them or simply get rid of them. It is their land. In fact you can refuse to maintain the grass there if you want and the government will have to come cut it for you but they may not be on your schedule. I am also not sure how they could make you shovel the snow on the sidewalk in front of your house. It is not your land, it is theirs.

Reply to
gfretwell

Isn't it technically a "public easement", i.e. you own the land, but the city/county/state has access rights for certain purposes including utilities.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If a snow plow goes by me in south west Florida, it will be on CNN.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not here or anywhere else I have ever lived. If you look at my plat, it shows the property line about 10 feet from the edge of the road. When I was in Maryland this was pointed out to me when I wanted to widen my driveway. That was the first time I was told that if I didn't want to mow that grass, the county had to do it. Here in Florida, we see a tractor with a bush hog come around about once a month and they will mow the first 10' or so of any overgrown lot. Then the code enforcement people ticket the homeowner if the rest of the lot is not mowed. If there is already a judgement on that lot, they mow the whole thing and bill the owner.

Reply to
gfretwell

That link leads to a 404 page.

Reply to
Sam E

That wasn't an issue where I lived, because we had no sidewalks! No one walked on the street. In fact maybe no one walked. I forget where I walked (3 houses to the school-bus stop.)

We had a fire hydrant on the border between our lot and the next door neigbhors, but that 40 or 50 feet from the road! (The front yard was a little over 100 feet deep.) Does the hydrant location imply that the water mains were also that distance from the road? I would think so.

I don't think so where we were.

In the townhouse where I am now, that's true But the HOA owns the road too and the developer divided up the land as he saw fit. There is no room to build more houses, so there will never be an increase in traffic unless they lower the driving age below 16. Some front yards are only about 10 feet deep, so the road can't be widened there. (Others are 30 feet deep.) An easement goes all around the ziggety-zaggety building holding 8 houses, for neighbors to walk and move their lawn mowers from back to front yards.

In the back, the cable company has untilty easement. In the front, the water, electric, phone, and sewer companies have utility easements, and the plat shows the easements, and shows my property all the way to the curb (though it's narrowed to 10 feet iirc by then.) IIRC I have a

30th of an acre, including where the house is. ;-)

OT A couple blocks from here, they once mowed about 10 feet and billed the owner of a farm, who had to convince them he was a farm and he was growing hay, which he was. I suppose the county owed him for the hay they cut prematurely, but they let that go. Used to grow corn, but the couple was getting old.

Reply to
micky

The fort must have been 5 feet tall, but the city lowered it to 3 or 4 feet.

After more thought, I think most machinery could not plow at the 3 or 4 foot level two feet from the road, and if it could it would likely hit mailboxes and surely be a danger to children if any in the fort.

So they must have gotten out of the truck and destroyed the top part by hand. The mayor said it was an accident, so they must have done this accidentally.

Reply to
micky

I think the fort reached almost to his front door, that the yard was only 10 feet deep or so, but the picture wasn't great.

he could have just built it there and there would be

Still a problem. He is having a party this weekend, with something like Facebook invitations, to rebuild it on his land only, and the mayor says he can't do that either.

Of course there is also this Two young boys survive more than two hours trapped in snowbank after plough accidentally buries them. (They were doing this at the edge of a parking lot, not in their yard.)

This: Ontario boy, 9, dies after he was found trapped under a collapsed snowbank near his family?s farm, But few details and no statement any fort was involved.
And especiailly this one: Freedom sliders defy tobogganing bans in defence of Canadians? right to slide down hills But "The city banned tobogganing on the hill shortly after it purchased the land in 2009 due to insurance issues."?The hill was built as a toboggan hill. It was designed as a toboggan hill. It will be used as a toboggan hill, and just putting a sign up ? tobogganing is going to be something people are still going to do, short of putting up a concrete barrier.?

micky

I got that too this time.

Heres an alternative

Of course this includes any image that is on any page dealing with the story.

micky

"The open-air fort they ended up building is completely decked out, including a couple of couches and a special relay area."

What's a relay area?

I know these web pages are more neutral than my OP. That's why the companies that write them should be shut down.

Reply to
micky