Kitchen sink collects water in the quarter inch between sink and backplate

Kitchen sink set in fake marble has a quarter inch space of marble between the back of the sink and the marble wall plate.

It collects a pool of water and grime.

Any ideas for preventing that?

Reply to
Adair Bordon

Don't use the sink .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What kind of sink, surface mount, below the countertop mount? Do you mean backsplash when you say wall plate???

Reply to
hrhofmann

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:45:44 -0800:

Sink is normal. It sits on top of the counter in a hole. There is a small overlap so the sink does not fall down into the hole. There is a quarter inch space, not even enough to get your pinky in there, between the sink overlap and the back wall.

The entire sink is "tiled" with marble with 90 degree corners. So the tile "surrounds" the sink (as it should).

The problem is that the quarter inch between the sink and the tiled wall behind the sink collects coooties.

I was thinking of FILLING that space with clear caulk, at least up to the depth of the rim of the sink, which is probably 1/8 inch or a bit more.

But maybe there is a better idea?

Reply to
Adair Bordon

Terry Coombs wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:32:34 -0600:

It looks very much like this picture except that it is 90 degree tile of marble all around the sink instead of formed formica like in this picture.

I am sure EVERYONE with this type of setup has water and coooties collecting in that 1/4 inch space behind the sink and in front of the wall.

So maybe someone has a clever idea to prevent this other than not using the sink?

Reply to
Adair Bordon

Hi, You may have a water leak from the faucet. Splash wall and counter top has nothing to do collecting water unless there is a leak some where around there. Even if you wipe the water off, does it collect again and again? Do a good investigation.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The only way I know of to prevent this problem is to have an undermount sink - fairly common with "cultured marble" and corian-type tops , not so much with othe kinds . It's a lot more common than people realize , and the only way tto prevent it really is to not use the sink . Since that isn't an option , your only recourse is to keep a sponge or something handy to dry the area after use . Be glad you have a steel sink (assuming the picture in the link you posted is accurate) and not the "self-r****ng" kind . Oh , and there shpould be more than a quarter inch space back there , the top may have the hole cut too far back - or the backsplash is thicker than the usual 3/4" .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 00:11:15 -0600:

I stuff a sponge there in fact. But I prefer a better solution. I am thinking clear caulk to fill up the channel?

It is not steel. The picture was steel but my sink is pink enamel. I think it is steel or iron though. But with pink enamel on it.

I can fit a typical kitchen scotch sponge but I have to squeeze it to get it to fit sidewise. My finger does not fit.

What do you think about filling the channel with clear silicone?

Reply to
Adair Bordon

Tony Hwang wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:04:06 -0700:

No leak. It's splash for sure. I do dishes in the sink (dishwasher is broken which is a different question).

All that splashing splashes water in the channel and on the floor. I can wipe the floor easily. But that channel is a pain.

It also channels water to the dish drying cloth at the sides of the sink, which makes the corner soaking wet since that cloth is hydro philic.

Plus over time coooties develop there if I don't clean it daily. It is a kitchen sink. It should be designed to NOT have that thin channel.

I am thinking of filling the channel with SOMETHING but what?

Reply to
Adair Bordon

No simple one. Two complex ones would be setting the sink either more forward or back, the other is to use an undermount or tile in sink.

Reply to
dadiOH

I think you'll find that filling it will make more problems . Water will still infiltrate , but be trapped and that same gunk will now be growing under the silicone . There are no both easy and good solutions for this problem . It sounds from your description that you do have a self-rim sink . Is there a narrow stainless steel band around the edge ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I agree that area is a problem. I would think the easiest solution is to just wipe it off with a sponge every few days. That should keep any grime from forming.

I agree with others that caulk is probably not a good idea. I think it's going to look like hell, be uneven, and even harder to clean.

Reply to
trader_4

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 06:56:56 -0600:

No. The sink appears to be just set into the counter hole.

I understand that you're saying if I fill it with silicone, mold will grow underneath, which I've seen before in showers.

That's why I asked for ideas. It's a lousy yet very common design.

Me?

I'd design it better in the first place. Dunno how, but, one thought would be that the backsplash would be a single curved-at-the-bottom piece of formed granite (if that exists).

Reply to
Adair Bordon

There are ways to have a seamless curved transition between the deck and the backsplash , but it's difficult and expensive . My personal preference is an undermount sink . In solid surface (corian type) countertops you can actually fabricate the sink as an integral part of the countertop .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:33:40 -0600:

That's why I'm trying to backfill.

BTW, it seems to be about 1/2 inch, maybe slightly less. I can get my index finger in there, but not my thumb.

I just want to get rid of it, somehow. The best I can think of is caulk, but I do agree that I've seen mold UNDER caulk, so, it might seep under anyway.

Reply to
Adair Bordon

We just swipe 1/2 of a paper towel on the end of our fingers across the area in question when we cleanup at the end of dinner. Never had any problems in 50+ years.

Reply to
hrhofmann

As said, caulk will make the problem bigger down the road. You could rebuild the counter or simply wipe the space with a towel or sponge. If the faucet is leaking from bad packing or a bad cartridge, you should repair that first.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

always a smartass.

Reply to