Water Hammer Question For Kitchen Sink ?

Hello,

Have the typical Delta single-handle faucet for the kitchen sink. At least 10 yrs old.

Has the single good size ball type of valve inside the handle.

Whenever we turn it ON, the hot or cold, there is a big "bang" in the pipes.

Am tempted to call it a water-hammer, but I always thought water hammer, in the true sense of the word, was only when one closed a valve, and the ensuing pressure wave due to the running water being shut, suddenly, caused the hammer.

Is this true ?

We have no problem when shutting; only when turning it on.

Anyway, I replaced the small hot and cold top-hat rubber seals and their springs. No change. Still happens.

But there is a built in water diverter valve that goes to a hose sprinkler for cleaning pots and pans, I guess. We never use the hose.

Think this valve might be actuating and causing the problem ?

Hard to see how, as the end of the hose is of course shut off, so even if the valve actuates, it is leading to a "closed" section of hose. But,...?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

If it only happens at the kitchen faucet, not anywhere else in the house, I would look at the diverter first. When the faucet is off, the diverter valve could actually be a little open so when you turn on the faucet, the inrush of water pressure closes it hard. Try this, turn on the faucet while holding the hose sprayer on. If the banging does not occur, then that is your problem.

Reply to
Mike rock

You are right and it is not likely waterhammer.

I would tend to believe you have some loose pipes somewhere. I suggest following the pipes and have someone turn the water on and off unitl you find the source.

Do you have city water or a well?

If city water do you have any kind of pressure reduction device?

If well check any pressure tanks.

Does it do it equally on hot and cold water?

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

When I re-did my 1930's house plumbing recently (PEX) I put in water hammer arrestors in the laundry on the hot & cold water lines.

They are the piston style & installed inside the wall. I can hear them activate when the fill valves turn on, not when the when they turn off. They are actually behaving as a water accumulator in an attempt to maintain water pressure.......when the fill valve opens, the line pressure drops & the arrestors supplies a bit of water.

You are correct that "real water hammer" occurs when the kinetic energy of the a long run of water is dissipated as a pressure spike when a valve is suddenly shutoff. But if you've ever played with a garden hose or worked with high pressure hydraulics.....you can see how hoses jump & whip as valves are turned on AND off.

I believe that what oyu are experiencing is similar to what happens in my laundry.

If you turn the water on slowly do oyu still get the noise? How long is the piping run to the kitchen?

I dont think its the diverter valve.

You could try adding some of those small screw-on laundry arrestors to see if they help.

The sudden pressure drop in the water lines could causing them to jump around. Give the arrestors a try & secure any loose pipes.

cheers Bob

PS....Mike rocks proposed experiment is a good one, let us know how it works out.

Reply to
fftt

If you don't have an expansion tank, add it. You will notice a difference and it will help protect your water appliances.

Reply to
Phisherman

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Jamison

I have no experience with this problem or problem sprayers, but a) I don't think it would help and b) I woudl be afraid water would leak out of the sprayer connection. If the vavle there can cause that noise, as in the post you replied to (In usenet we bottom post, not top post liek you did.) and can stick partly open, which isn't the way it came from the facdtory, yours could start sticking partly open too.

Reply to
mm

> I also have the same thing happening and followed your suggestion checking

You both are off your rockers, it's a homelonershrub post from September

9, 2009. Although it's probably not fixed yet if he was getting help from homelownershrub.
Reply to
Tony Miklos

>> I also have the same thing happening and followed your suggestion checking

I don't waste my time looking at dates, and even after looking I don't don't know where you got 2009. :-)

Reply to
mm

I installed a new Delta Kitchen Faucet #10902LF a month ago. I did what you suggested above and had the results you describe. Now what do I do the remedy the problem? Kindly reply, Tim

Reply to
Tim

I have city water and a PRV. Cold side only.

Reply to
Tim